Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Will it ever happen ?
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my copy of the email I sent.
Please copy and send to your MP and add your own comments.
Please take time to watch the youtube clip.

Dear Jonathan Lord MP

I having recently purchased a fully electric car .
I am now fully aware of the problem finding charging points in the UK and l would like to draw your attention to the problem of electric car charging.
lt seems we have gone back into the days of VHS and Betamax videos if you remember that problem.
or cell phone signals in the early days.
The problem being that each charging point you go to belongs to a different organisation or club that you have to be a member of them all to use them.
It really this needs to be sorted out that whatever charge point you arrive at (commercial premises)you will be able to use it on your debit or credit card without being a member of a certain club, l can see this will happen in the future as it has happened with cell phone providers, l Think the problem is explained well on YouTube by “electric vehicle man”subjects are guide to collection electric car charging and networks (UK)
l also found a another website on the Internet called
PlugShare (PlugShare)
with this you can register your charging point at your private house and share with other electric car users for free or a small charge to cover electricity used by the visitor I think with people cooperating like this there will be a multitude of charge points across the UK very soon but it needs to be publicised to make people aware of it
Regards S..................
Address:....................

Mob: .....................

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I recently wrote to my MP about the reduction in grant and the government's so-called green credentials, and also mentioning the general problems with infrastructure, specifically mentioning the lack of CCS provision on the M4 west of here (although it doesn't affect me personally, but it's in his area). All I got back was some stock reply about how the government was delivering on Road to Zero without a mention of my specific concerns. Waste of time.

By the way, @EV SPARKS you can register your home charge point with Zap Map, but very few people are happy to do this - I know I wouldn't.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have written to my MP about the problems associated with public charging. I also highlighted the very poor reliability of the chargers and lack of redundancy, particularly for CCS.
I too got general political speak, really offering nothing specific. Apart from a lot of letters will show dissatisfaction, well worth emphasising I agree, it is I'm afraid almost a complete waste of time. Brexit comes first, second, and third etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wrote to my MP on 10th October and got an automated reply so it got to the right place. As of 15th November I have had no response but then I wasn't really expecting anything so I'm not disappointed!
I also wrote to Shell who keep promoting 'Shell Recharge' and have been mandated to install chargers on their forecourts. They have completely rebuilt a large local site with no charging at all (It does have a nice Waitrose!). Shell's response was an apology that I had been inconvenienced (I hadn't) and they would forward my email to the local manager who almost certainly laughed and deleted it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lo and behold I actually got a response from Shell this morning and they tell me my local Shell garage is installing an EV charging point in early 2019, No details of size and quantity but I assume it to be a rapid. Very good but puzzling as to why it wasn't done during the rebuilding.

·
Will it ever happen ?
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wrote to my MP on 10th October and got an automated reply so it got to the right place. As of 15th November I have had no response but then I wasn't really expecting anything so I'm not disappointed!
I also wrote to Shell who keep promoting 'Shell Recharge' and have been mandated to install chargers on their forecourts. They have completely rebuilt a large local site with no charging at all (It does have a nice Waitrose!). Shell's response was an apology that I had been inconvenienced (I hadn't) and they would forward my email to the local manager who almost certainly laughed and deleted it.
Thanks Alan.
Something has got to work to sort the problem sooner or latter. We can only hope is soon. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/20/ca/7520ca1abc9055a2e9981b16ab51b772.jpg Flying pig imidge

·
The best there is at what I do
10,520 Posts
I wrote to my MP got a stock reply saying how many charge points had been installed in the local area (there hadn't been any), my reply went along the lines of "you obviously don't drive an electric car" and offering to drive her around so she could show me where all the mystery chargers were installed, she declined my offer.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,013 Posts
But the law has been passed to deal with this.

The issue is that OLEV is useless at enforcing anything at all. The law is there, but no police to make it happen.

Please write to your MP and complain about OLEV.

·
Will it ever happen ?
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wrote to my MP got a stock reply saying how many charge points had been installed in the local area (there hadn't been any), my reply went along the lines of "you obviously don't drive an electric car" and offering to drive her around so she could show me where all the mystery chargers were installed, she declined my offer.
:) somebody must vote for them :rolleyes:

·
Will it ever happen ?
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a reply :)

Thank you for your email to Jonathan regarding the challenges that are faced by electric car owners.

I have contacted the Minister and will get back to you when I receive a response.

With bets wishes.

Kind regards,

Herta Hearsum

Tel 020 7219 7193

Email: [email protected]

·
Will it ever happen ?
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
D95F3E96-79CE-44E2-A489-82DE09C2FBC1.jpeg
I’ve got a reply today (7/01/19) must have been sitting on someone’s desk for a while :(.

·
Will it ever happen ?
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This November deadline has not happened :(:mad: “pay as go on all charge points “?????:notworthy:

·
The best there is at what I do
10,520 Posts
This November deadline has not happened :(:mad: “pay as go on all charge points “?????:notworthy:
I thought this had been achieved, there has been some confusion because people seem to think that PAYG is contactless and it isn't, you just have to be able to turn up at a charger and be able to charge, Charge Master have some this via Polar Instant, you want to use one of our Rapids that will be £7.20 for 30 mains, you want to use one of the Fasf AC points that will be at least £1,20 for a connection fee then maybe £1.50 an hour or free depending on where they are located, not pretty but it does fulfill the PAYG requirement, if that's not acceptable then perhaps pay a monthly membership fee and get cheap electric.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To add to the reduction of the government grant, i think we should all start a petition to lower the Interest rate applicable for electric cars. This is my biggest hold back from purchasing an EV, i dont want to waste £2k+ on PCP deal on an electric car, when on petrol and diesels they are doing 0% (not that im going to buy them anyway)

The Government should put a threshold limit on Interest rates for any new BEV car being purchase at say 1-2%. this way a lot more people would be interested. The issue will be Manufacturers catchng up with demand, however this may push them to do so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts