Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Sorry in advance if not posted in the right place]

I've just placed an order on the new 22kw version of the Smart Fortwo EQ which i am very much looking forward to picking up in a few months. I just started to look online at getting a charge point for home installed, when i came across the eligibility list for the plug in car grant.

According to the list, my car of choice is not eligible, but the Smart Forfour is. Even though these are basically exactly the same car, and in fact the Forfour has a slightly smaller range than the Fortwo.

The car I've ordered meets all the recommended criteria as far as I can tell, its definitely less than £60,000, does more than 70 miles range being a 100% electric vehicle, and I have receive the £4500 grant for the car at the dealer.

I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on why the list may state that the car is not eligible, when it seemingly meets all the criteria?

I will need a home charger, as there are few local ones, and there is no way my employer would even entertain installing one there. I intent to get the charger from chargemaster, and don't want to be turned away for having a vehicle that is not eligible. What would I be looking to have to pay if the grant is not there?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
At worst you could always pick up a used one off ebay or ask if someones got one for sale on here. Any competent electrician could install it for you. That would be my choice. Will be worth calling up to see if your car is yet to be added to the list. Definitely take it up with your dealer.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Grant is 75% of the cost or £500 from memory. Chargemaster are not the cheapest provider / installer out there and they are currently quoting £279 for a type 2 tethered charger after the grant so you can do the maths. You can get them for less from other installers and you can buy cheaper charge points. You pays your money etc!

In terms of the plug in grant, that’s the dealer’s problem as they claim that back. If they come after you saying you’ll have to pay them £4,500 more, tell ‘em to shove it.

Chargemaster will advise you on homecharge grant eligibility if you talk to them, give them a ring. They’ve been pretty good with the one I’m currently negotiating for someone else (not a Smart though). Very helpful staff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The model of car that I have just ordered will start production tomorrow, however the new electric fortwo was released (I think) at the end of last year.

I am not sure how much assistance the dealer will be able to offer, as the charger musty be organised by myself, and the dealer has no real involvement in this process, other than advertising it in there brochure. I will contact chargemaster and ask if the car will be eligible, based on the fact that it is only recently released. My dealer has said they are trying to get me more info on the charger install, but will probably be no more than I already know.

I would rather not get a used charger, (though if that is whats needed will do so) as i was going to get the data plan that they offer too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Grant is 75% of the cost or £500 from memory. Chargemaster are not the cheapest provider / installer out there and they are currently quoting £279 for a type 2 tethered charger after the grant so you can do the maths. You can get them for less from other installers and you can buy cheaper charge points. You pays your money etc!

In terms of the plug in grant, that’s the dealer’s problem as they claim that back. If they come after you saying you’ll have to pay them £4,500 more, tell ‘em to shove it.

Chargemaster will advise you on homecharge grant eligibility if you talk to them, give them a ring. They’ve been pretty good with the one I’m currently negotiating for someone else (not a Smart though). Very helpful staff.
I have looked at the other chargers, but have been told in the past that charge masters are one of the most reliable ones. I cant see that Smart or the dealer is at fault, (if anything i think the OLEV site is wrong), as all the Smart docs refer to the government grant as do their website, and my signed legal contract for the car order. I cant believe they would be that wrong about such a crucial part of a car purchase.

Also, other people have apparently ordered the same car as me from the same dealer, and they have not had any issues with regard getting the Grant from the dealer for the car.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Wasnt suggesting that anyone is wrong on the vehicle grant, they just seem to have confused the issue. One page on gov.uk shows the Fortwo as eligible for plug-in grant but the published homecharge list seems to indicate the car is eligible for homecharge but not plug-in grant :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wasnt suggesting that anyone is wrong on the vehicle grant, they just seem to have confused the issue. One page on gov.uk shows the Fortwo as eligible for plug-in grant but the published homecharge list seems to indicate the car is eligible for homecharge but not plug-in grant :rolleyes:
Yes, that is exactly what has confused me.

I think I will contact the charge point supplier and ask them what they think, and go from there. If need be I will find a cheaper 7kw charger (Rolec perhaps) and get an electrician to just install that for me. At the end of the day all i really want / need is a plug with a 7kw capable type 2 charger that i can plug me lead into to charge overnight.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
There doesn’t seem any confusion on the homecharge grant list. The Fortwo is there so it should be eligible, it’s the plug-in bit that’s confused.

FWIW I’ve had a Rolec installed myself since Aug 2016. Aside from quickly swapping out a dodgy internal switch unit (early Rolec units suffered from this) it’s been perfectly good.

·
Premium Member
9,831 Posts
Have you tried ChargedEV? They do a branded version of the Chargemaster unit quite a bit cheaper and most feedback is good, a few complaints about missed appointment, but not so many recently.

Electric Vehicle Chargers At Home Nationwide | EV Chargepoints from £129

Me and SWMBO find the Chargemaster and Podpoint to be more aesthetically pleasing - we have one each of the former. We both think the Rolec is ugly ;)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You've got me confused now - you say you've had the grant for the car in the OP, (4500 at the dealer) and you say that the car is on the list for the charger grant - what exactly, without being rude, are you asking exactly - it seems to me like you've answered everything ??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You've got me confused now - you say you've had the grant for the car in the OP, (4500 at the dealer) and you say that the car is on the list for the charger grant - what exactly, without being rude, are you asking exactly - it seems to me like you've answered everything ??
To clarify. I have got the plug in car grant (£4500 off). But I am not sure of eligibility of the homecharge grant.

I think I confused the two above in previous replies.

This is because the fortwo appears to be not eligible but tgr forfour model is. Even though they are essentially the same car. I have also noticed that on the name of the Smart car is the outgoing model. But on the plug in grant list is named as the new EQ model. It may just be they have not updated the list as the car is only just out.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,831 Posts
To clarify. I have got the plug in car grant (£4500 off). But I am not sure of eligibility of the homecharge grant.
It is eligible or you wouldn't have got PICG - same list. Try ChargedEV as above...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Me and SWMBO find the Chargemaster and Podpoint to be more aesthetically pleasing - we have one each of the former. We both think the Rolec is ugly ;)
Hmm, the rolec certainly has an industrial quality about it... But i do quite like industrial. My biggest gripe is the chintzy white and green plastics. Would be much better in a nice black or grey.

That said, i dont like the podpoint or the chargemaster units. Especially dislike the weird oval shape of the chargemaster.

My favourites aesthetically are probably the ABL ("IronMan") unit and the Tesla Wall Connector.

·
Premium Member
9,831 Posts
Tesla Wall Connector.
We can agree on that one :) and I certainly plan to get one for Model 3 as we have already used two OLEV grants! Need another referral to get one free! We may move house around Model 3 time and will look at 3 phase feasibility at new place. For Model 3 we will have two Type 2 tethered, so will add a 13A socket - Type 1 friends can use their Granny ;)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I imagine it's because it uses a 13A plug so sits outside the scheme.
Probably. Rolec sell a model with a type 2 tethered and a 13A socket in the lower window. I asked my installer to supply that unit, and was told they couldnt as OLEV doesnt allow models with 13A sockets on them (they called it multi mode or something).
In the end i just bought the socket module and fitted it myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts