Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if theres a 32A Rolec Wallpod (EVWP1140) (one without the ability to turn the amperage down to 16A) what would happen if you plugged the Ampera into it ? would it just draw 16A anyway ? not work at all ? or what ?

thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmmm, interesting, I'm sure (and I hope) you're right. I'd bought a second hand/new (might be a refurb unit) from Ebay, on inspection of the listing, it said 'available in 32A and 16A, and in the instructions it says along the lines of 'where the facility is available, so can switch between 32A and 16A, do this before connecting to the car' since we have no facility to select, I'd sent the electrician packing, him having already fitted a changeover switch to go between my Tesla Wall connector and the Rolec unit...... since he'd almost finished, he just terminated it in a standard plug socket.

can anyone else confirm ? or perhaps I can attempt to ask Rolec

upon actually standing back and thinking about it...... I'm fairly sure there's protection against any issues like this, and I would have imagined that the car would be smart enough to only accept what it can take ?

Paul

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
So, if theres a 32A Rolec Wallpod (EVWP1140) (one without the ability to turn the amperage down to 16A) what would happen if you plugged the Ampera into it ? would it just draw 16A anyway ? not work at all ? or what ?

thanks
Back to basics of electricity supply and demand.
Your voltage is fixed and the current is dependant on your load.
Think of a standard 13 amp socket outlet. Just because it is capable of supplying 13 amp (reality is it will supply a fair bit more before melting) doesn't mean anything you plug in will get 13 amp.
The load will draw current it requires.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
There's one caveat, if it is an untethered outlet the lead itself has a means to limit the load from the charger to the maximum the cable is rated for.
I'm short, plug in and forget it.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I’m so dumb, sometimes I just amaze myself :)

thank you
Can't be that dumb, you have two of the finest cars ever designed.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The J1772 protocol means that the car selects the lower charge limit, the upper is defined by the cable and charging unit. So you can safely plug a car with a lower limit into 32A charge points. As it happens that's what is happening at my house at the moment, two LEAF24s charging at 16A in 32A charge points.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,330 Posts
My Rolec was a 32 amp for use with the Ampera and it only ever drew 16 amp. The reason for the 32 amp installation was that the Energy Saving Trust in Scotland at the time (2013) only installed 32 amp to future-proof the installations, just a pity that I went from a type 1 car to a type 2 car.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Any EV is ok plugged into any Evse, the standards are designed for safety. So no Type 2 extension cables, and adapters e.g. Type 2 to 1 are heavily frowned on.
Ampy annoyingly beeps when you start a charge, can wake/annoy the neighbours. I have built a circuit to disengage the horn subsystem when car is locked, details here somewhere!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, I hate that triple beep, I swear to god it does it sometimes for no reason at all !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts