Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says that the car should be plugged in when not being driven if possible. It allows the car to maintain the battery at the optimum temperature and keeps it topped off.

However, as I work from home sometimes I drive just a few miles every day. So, even if I have driven to the shop and back, say 3 miles, should I then plug it in again?

With the Nissan Leaf I try to apply a bit of common sense. If the Leaf has done just a few miles I won't plug it in. I will leave it until I have used about 1/2 and plug it in then.

However, the Ampera is different. Maximizing the cost savings that the Ampera makes possible depends on me not using petrol. So, at all times I really need to be as fully charged as possible so I use less petrol should I need to drive over the EV range. The Leaf is different in that I won't be using it for long trips so I can let the range drop a fair bit knowing I will still always have enough for local trips. But with the Ampera it is my "go to" car for longer trips so it makes sense to keep the battery topped off whenever possible.

So, although the manual says plug it in but should I charge the car even when only a few EV miles have been used?

I realise that charging with only a few miles used is not likely to be good for the battery but I will potentially save on petrol costs. It is a balance.

What are you doing?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm keeping the car plugged in as I never know if tomorrow will be a 5 mile or 50 mile day

Not that I've needed to use the preconditioning function to cool the car down 10 minutes before driving what with our crazy summer but if and when the weather changes I know it won't reduce the range if I do so while plugged in!

Big Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
I leave mine plugged in when at home but have it set to overnight charging.
Apparently it is best to leave it plugged in, the mains electric can keep the battery at the correct temperature etc.
If I use the car once and expect to go out later, I can do an immediate charge if needed by pulling the car plug out and re-inserting it within 5 seconds for an immediate charge. It automatically goes back to the original charge time setting when plugged in on my second return.
Will have to check how much electicity is used during the day just keeping the battery cosy :!:

·
Registered
387 Posts
You can also select "immediate charge" if you open the charging port door using the switch on the drivers door. A popup will appear with the option to temporarily override the current setting and charge immediately.

I have a meter fitted and I don't see a lot of movement when it is not charging. but I will try and remember to take a reading and post back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts