Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What mobile phone operating system is on your phone?

• iOS (iPhone)

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Android

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Windows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

Thanks Paul for what looks like a great forum (sorry - hadn’t picked it up until now as a G-Wiz owner I have been on the now defunct G-Wiz forum by Mike Boxwell).

Just wanted to take the opportunity to let you know about a Source London map iPhone app I just released called PluggIt https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pluggit/id827218422?mt=8

I was frustrated by how badly the Source London website map works on a mobile device (which ironically is the best way to view the map - on the go in a car).
Neither was there an existing iPhone app that was simple to use, loaded fast with exactly the behaviour I wanted.
So I decided to make it myself. It went live on app store on Thursday.

As I am a home-dad with two small children and this project came out of my own pocket and costed me a bit more than originally planned - I was hoping to recoup a little bit by charging for it. But I hope it will not be a too big hurdle for a Londoner in need to find Source London charging points.

If anyone do download it, it would be great to hear feedback. If you like it then I would really appreciate nice reviews on the app store. If you don’t or something could be improved or you found a bug - I would be interested to hear from you on [email protected]

Hope you like it and looking forward to your comments!

PS - curious to see what the interest might be for an Android version of this app.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Hi Guys.....
Just wanted to take the opportunity to let you know about a Source London map iPhone app I just released called PluggIt https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pluggit/id827218422?mt=8
Roland - welcome, that is an inspired idea!

My EV has a good Garmin GPS, but for long journeys, I run the route on Google Maps (on an IPad) - but have to swop to Safari pages to get Chargemaster, Ecotricity data!

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Data quality is an imperative - you need access to the National Chargepoint Register (not what the name suggests) + the data from Charge Point sercices providers. ZCW, Nissan and Ecotricity might cooperate - but Chargemaster and CYC probably won't! Many of us would be happy if you only had those on the 'national' App, as they are the free-to-users services!

2) you should try to get it sponsored, by the above and 'free to users';

3) make your initiative known to OLEV, see if you can get any funding?

Finally, just to say that you can rely on ths group for candid feedback! I sincerely hope that will add to your motivation to make 'a success'!

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian.

Many thanks for your response.

PluggIt was made to be as easy to use as possible, fast loading Source London map iPhone app with maximum configuration flexibility for exactly what the user needed.
The data quality is as good as the Source London map on their website and has so far not disappointed me (much). I am personally keen to make the map an data as good as possible and have notified Source London about the errors I have encountered in their data.
This means that I in my mind (hopefully) have an built an app that works great with great quality data. Just what I needed personally.

It seems like you are after a nationwide app where you could map the route combining different service providers. Have you seen the National Chargepoint Register app? If so - what are your thoughts about it and does it do what you need it to?

Being a G-wiz owner (with satnav not even close of being an optional extra) can you or someone else tell me about what a Satnav in a modern EV tells you when it comes to charge locations and where the date comes from?
1) Does it tell you what operator/scheme it is?
2) Does it tell you only charge points that are relevant to your vehicle?
3) Does it tell you if its on-street parking or off street parking?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Sorry Brian but the National Chargepoint Register does not exist! There is a web site but that is as far as it went. There was a lot of talk about creating the NCR but it fizzled out after this proof of concept.

I have recently contacted Pod-Pont and they have confirmed this. I have also required information from OLEV but as always, I got no reply.

It was a proof of concept only project commissioned and paid for by OLEV put out to Pod-Point to carry out. Nothing more.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I am curious where you get the data for your app? I cannot see anywhere any attribution?

Apps are great! The more apps we have the better we will find an app that really suits how we as individuals work. However, my concern is that while creating apps is good... creating yet another database of charge points is BAAAAD!

There are many databases holding information on charging points and the very last thing we need is yet another one.

Open Charge Map was created to try to create a centralised database. If you really want to help the EV community then I would recommend that you definitely create your app, but rather than create yet another database, use the OCM database. It has a KML or JSON API and will give you access to most of the charging stations in the UK and many from other parts of the world too.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have repeatedly asked Chris at OCM to separate out the open data and he flatly refuses to do so so yes, at the moment there is a mix and we should be very careful if we want to remain legal and immune from legal eaction should the likes of Chargemaster etc decide that they want to enforce their rights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all - me again. Sorry I haven't been back for some time...

Just a quick note to say that the app is now FREE! (With ads added though that can be removed inside the app). So please feel free to install and test it! Let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks, Roland

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hi #roland nice idea but no android ? The Renault Zoe R-link is supposed to guide you to nearest charge point but doesn't seem to pick up Ecotricity points and is painfully slow in its searching.....in fact it directed me to a Sainsburys charger despite there being a Renault dealer with one closer. Doh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there and thanks for your comment.

No - sorry - no Android yet. I really would like to but I originally made it for my own iPhone use and cant currently financially justify an Android.

The R-link sounds like a bummer. This is is kind of a reason why I don't have multiple charge point providers in PluggIt. I decided to stick with Source London as the data is pretty good which makes a good and reliable app (and the only network I really use here in London) and I can verify a lot of the charge points myself.

All the best, Roland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts