Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, just had my renewal notice from Pluginsure. It says Ageas no long cover EVs (who really insured me). Using my existing details the next best price offered by Pluginsure via LV was insane. Gone from 273 quid to 515. No claims this last year. 30kwh Kia Soul.

I never go with renewal offers anyway but that is the biggest hike I've ever seen!

Anyone in the same boat?

·
Registered
316 Posts
My previous insurers Stabilis (Sure Thing - now re branded as Policy Expert), would also not insure my e208!!!

You have to wonder why, don't you.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
678 Posts
I'm just replacing a ZE40 with a ZE50 and called Direct Line to find out how much more it was going to cost. 135 hp instead of 88 hp! To which they told me they would be refunding me £20 for the 6 months left, due to the extra safety features on the new car! No sign of upward pressure on prices. Usual insurance rule applies: shop around every year, always, and then ask your existing insurers to match the best EQUIVALENT quote. Move if you have to.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,919 Posts
This year I used go-compare via topcashback, who were offering £30 or so for a new policy. Go compare in turn threw in 'free excess cover' on their own behalf, and found a policy with Admiral for £245, which was odd because Admiral came through as £375 or so via other web comparison sites.

My Soul was with Aviva at around £250 and went up to £350 for the renewal.

Obvious observation is; keep looking!

New/different deals all the time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Another vote here for Directline. When I bought my Fluence as an additional car I was quoted £250.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Churchill put the price up to £430 by £50 on the auto renewal. I went to a price comparison site and Churchill came out top with £365. So they have had pay commission and I am getting a reduction of £15 compared to last year.

They take the piss and rely on lazy customers.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
My previous insurers Stabilis (Sure Thing - now re branded as Policy Expert), would also not insure my e208!!!

You have to wonder why, don't you.
Did you try contacting them directly about that? They were willing to insure me no problem with an EV, and the only reason why online quotes weren't working was tthe free breakdown cover that I had with my policy, it doesn't include electric vehicles. As long as I was happy to acknowledge that they appeared happy enough to go ahead.

I ultimately didn't end up going with them but that's apparently why they say they can't cover you online but can override that decision if you call them.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I haven't witnessed exceptional upward pressure in EV insurance over the 5+ years of ownership.
My premium went down with my move from a Leaf 30 to a Leaf 40.

Multicar with 2x Leaf I think went up £14 on renewal this year.

Insurance has always been a dark art. Even to the extent of the Goldilocks amount of days before renewal to get quotes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
A month ago when I took ownership of my Ze50 GTline ccs with all the packs I contacted Direct Line who insure my Ze40 Dynamique Nav 18 plate.
I had 3 month left on my policy and thought hefty increase coming....
But in actual fact they refunded me £17 for the time remaining.
Very chuffed.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
It's just the usual games. My wife's petrol car, also with LV, came up for renewal a few months ago and they were asking for a silly increase. Online Aviva quoted something I thought was reasonable and normally I'd have rung LV to give them a chance to do better as they have sometimes done in the past.
But of course in the midst of lockdown their phone lines were mad and it would take ages to get through, with no guarantee of a good result. Business went to Aviva.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,386 Posts
As above, just had my renewal notice from Pluginsure. It says Ageas no long cover EVs (who really insured me). Using my existing details the next best price offered by Pluginsure via LV was insane. Gone from 273 quid to 515. No claims this last year. 30kwh Kia Soul.

I never go with renewal offers anyway but that is the biggest hike I've ever seen!

Anyone in the same boat?
I swapped from Zoe to MG in March. AA insurance covered the swap with no charge. In June I got a renewal from them for £466 up from the £270 for Zoe. Did Compare The Markets and Quote Me Happy quoted me happy at £237.:);)(y)

The AA may have confused the ZS 3 stars with the EZS 5 stars. I did point this out to them.

Reactions: Rubble

·
Registered
505 Posts
LV = electric car cover.

Electric car benefits
• If you run out of charge in the UK we'll recover you to the nearest charging point. No
excess to pay and no impact on your no claim discount.
• Cover for accidental damage, fire and theft to your charging accessories, eg your
home charging point(s) and cables.
• If you choose optional guaranteed hire car benefit, we'll supply an electric or hybrid
hire car, subject to availability.

·
Registered
969 Posts
LV = electric car cover.

Electric car benefits
• If you run out of charge in the UK we'll recover you to the nearest charging point. No
excess to pay and no impact on your no claim discount.
• Cover for accidental damage, fire and theft to your charging accessories, eg your
home charging point(s) and cables.
• If you choose optional guaranteed hire car benefit, we'll supply an electric or hybrid
hire car, subject to availability.
Yeah, but what's the betting any of those things will count as a 'claim' which you'll have to decare for five years to anyone else you might try? I think I'd rather cover them myself, and keep a clean record.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm just replacing a ZE40 with a ZE50 and called Direct Line to find out how much more it was going to cost. 135 hp instead of 88 hp! To which they told me they would be refunding me £20 for the 6 months left, due to the extra safety features on the new car! No sign of upward pressure on prices. Usual insurance rule applies: shop around every year, always, and then ask your existing insurers to match the best EQUIVALENT quote. Move if you have to.
sounds more like they were rectifying ripping you off on the 40. How much you're paying a year? I think I'm paying about 280-290 a year, with breakdown cover and i have 1 claim in my last 5 years (34 years old)

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
678 Posts
sounds more like they were rectifying ripping you off on the 40. How much you're paying a year? I think I'm paying about 280-290 a year, with breakdown cover and i have 1 claim in my last 5 years (34 years old)
£230, with 4 named drivers, including a 30 year old. Do tell me how you can jump to conclusions like that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts