Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone else on the forum recently mentioned they'd put their home charger on plugshare.com - thought that was a good idea so I've shared mine on there too:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/54597

If anyone needs a charge just north of Portsmouth, off the A3, you're welcome!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Getting a couple of charge points fitted on Monday so will update when they are up and running and anyone in need of a charge is welcome to pop by Blandford region of Dorset

·
Banned
789 Posts
Can anyone explain how this works? I've got a chargemaster /polar 32a 7kw unit but it has a key switch? Do I just leave it switched on?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Can anyone explain how this works? I've got a chargemaster /polar 32a 7kw unit but it has a key switch? Do I just leave it switched on?
Just leave it switched on, unless you are worried that someone around your area has an EV hidden and as soon as you go out they are going to steal your electricity:eek:. We have never turned ours off and infact I dont even know where the key is.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Cool. So do people contact you through the site to arrange it? Is it free or do you ask people for a nominal charge for the electricity?

·
Registered
133 Posts
We like cake :)

I'm a bit busy with a stack of things at the moment but I am pondering a protocol for borrowing chargers and will put up some suggestions in a short while. cake though is an excellent idea :)

I've just had 2 charge points installed by the way (see here)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Mine's on Plugshare. A pint or two of Adnam's Broadside is my preferred payment method, not that anyone has asked to use it. I'm only about a quarter of a mile from a new pair of 7kw chargers in the Southend Civic Centre Car Park, although the last time I looked there was no differentiating marking preventing ICE drivers from parking there. It's a free car park between 6pm and 9am so that's a good time to charge up there, if anyone wants to spend a few hours in the delightful metropolis which consitutes Saaarfend.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Mine is on plugshare too. I added it because there really is a chance that anyone wandering about on the North York Moors might just need my 7kW type 2. It's always on. If an EV ever turns up 'in these parts' they're welcome to plug in - even if I'm not in.
Anyway, my neighbours will know if you've been and didn't say thanks. That's all I'd ask.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's handy to know Wowbagger as I do enjoy a trip to Southend for a Rossi every now and again. Last time I used a street charger in town centre not far from Sainsbury. When is normally free lol. Mine is always available near Harwich.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm in Selston Notts just off Junction 27 of the M1 if anyone needs a top up

32amp type 1

You bring the chocy biscuits I'll make the tea :)

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
I was just about to post a thread about plugshare but found this one first. Seems like a good idea.

Where I live would be convenient for anyone visiting where I live *1. In fact its so convenient about 2 years ago an old Peugeot decided to park in my drive!?? Unlucky for him I’d only popped out to B&Q to get paint as my uncle was coming round to help decorate, so he found himself blocked in by 2 cars and a polite note on the windscreen pointing out it wasn’t a public car park. Chicken didn’t come and knock to apologise and ask us to move but instead had a look to see if he could get over the grass and ended up waiting till my uncle left.

Anyway I digress… Has anyone ever had anyone use their EVSE? I’m more than happy to help someone charge if they are stuck – especially as there’s no other EVSEs within a 5 mile radius. But I also want to be sure when I get home that I don’t need to be waiting for people to move their cars before I can plug in and go to bed. I’d be happy if it gets used in the day time as I’m not there and the drive is empty. But Mrs is at home to see if anyone is cheeky and uses it without offering compensation. Being helpful is one thing but a 15kWh charge at Peak Good Energy rates is not something I’d want to be doing on a regular basis. I do have the facility to stick in 3 more EV car parking spaces as an alternative to public parking if gets used a lot ;-)

Can you put up usage restrictions? I’d like to say not available Fridays between 5pm and 6.30 as it’s the only time I know I arrive with a flat battery and have to go out again.

*1 I don’t ever post my location on public forums or use my real name after a mate got a Subaru nicked. I can’t remember how he found out – but it was nicked to order.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great idea, I am close to a fast charger where you pay £2 for parking and charger can be used. Also roughly 12 miles away from 2 rapid chargers. I have also nagged local council to put a charger in New leisure centre. but happy to help someone in dire need.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ours has been on for a while now, never had anyone asking to use it. Have had someone visiting once and he plugged in while we had a chat about EV's and Alyth.
Give me a shout when you want to use it, get us something to go with a cup of tea or coffee (y)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ours has been on for a while now, never had anyone asking to use it. Have had someone visiting once and he plugged in while we had a chat about EV's and Alyth.
Give me a shout when you want to use it, get us something to go with a cup of tea or coffee (y)
Well you're not exactly on the beaten track ;)! (Nice part of the world, though!) Next time Partick Thistle are playing Aberdeen away, though, you never know - it might be worth a detour :LOL:!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well you're not exactly on the beaten track ;)! (Nice part of the world, though!) Next time Partick Thistle are playing Aberdeen away, though, you never know - it might be worth a detour :LOL:!!
You're right, we live a bit remote for most people on the forum. That's why you might need me one day ;)
Going to or coming back from Aberdeen, turn off and visit us. (If we are not at the ski slopes or sailing at Forfar :))

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have had mine on Plugshare for about a year now, and there has never been an inquiry. However, in the US practically all EVs drive around with a portable EVSE. So, unless you're located in an extremely convenient place most drivers will - in a pinch - plug-in at the nearest available 110V wall receptacle.

Electric Car Owner Charged With Stealing Five Cents Worth Of Electricity

1 - 20 of 22 Posts