Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plugsurfing is a universal app/rfid system to allow you to charge seamlessly across numerous networks. Plugsurfing negotiates with the charging networks and agrees a rate for you to use the chargers. It works already in Europe and most companies have signed up. I know plugsurfing came over to the Cenex show this year to talk to networks.

The first compatible network in the uk will be the shell/Allego network. The new Fastned uk network will also be compatible. I've heard whispers that Genie are looking into it (makes sense as they charge per kwh anyway)

Current chargemaster customers will benefit as they will only need 1 rfid card and receive 1 bill regardless of which network they use.

Ecotricity will have reactivate their rfid card readers and offer a per kwh tarrif to plugsurfing users.

If you don't subscribe to the above you really should sign up. If plugsurfing approach charging companies with a large potential customer base they will negotiate great rates.

In the future, if all networks sign up, you can leave the house with one app/rfid tag and charge at any charger you want and receive 1 monthly itemised bill. If you drive into Europe you can also do the same. Europeans can also drive here and use any network.

Regional charging would also be eliminated as you wouldn't have to sign up to region specific networks for your 2 week holiday somewhere new.

If you subscribe to the uk networks or not, it's a win win situation for us all. We could have a joined up charging network that works for everyone.

Have a look at their website, it explains it better on there. I genuinely believe this is the future. Even if you are happy with your subscription, the future of ev's relys on networks being used and earning money.

I've already got the rfid tag, it works on all my local chargers which are open network. The roll out of the ecotricity app has been painful and not entirely reliable. Rfid was better we just need one card in our pocket not 5 or 6.

PlugSurfing - Charge your EV and find Charging Stations

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'd rather have legislated compulsory contactless payment for all public rapid chargers. By all means have other methods as well, but the primary payment method should be contactless.

I already have credit/debit cards to pay for everything else. Why should I have to sign up to something else.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally agree 100%. However networks seem to be dragging their heals over this. I think they are fighting for customer loyalty. When you drive a petrol car you rarely look at the company that runs the pump, you just fill up.

Plugsurfing accept credit cards against your account and it's debited once a month with one bill.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If it eventually comes down to a situation where charging providers had no requirement to specifically offer contactless payment at their 'pumps', then I could see the attraction of having one RFID card that covers all providers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've already got the plugsurfing fob, it's on my keyring so is always with me when I'm travelling in my car, however I don't always carry my wallet with me so RFID would be far more useful than contactless payment, but both would be nice.

·
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
9,719 Posts
But without pressure the networks won't sign up. Plugsurfing is just the next step.
When OCHP is fully implemented, there is no requirement for plug surfing. You use the card of your favorite network and it works on all networks using OCHP.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I don't care what the touch card I use to start/stop/pay happens to be. It can be a bank card, a Plugsurf card or a Costa card. I don't care. I just want one card to touch the machine reader with that allows me to fill the car. Whatever the industry decides behind the scenes to make that happen doesn't concern me in the slightest. Even if that means that a 3rd party makes a penny per transaction in return for convenience it's fine with me. But what I would want in return is 24/7/365 access to a real live human being to speak to if a machine glitches and wants to strand me in the rain.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When OCHP is fully implemented, there is no requirement for plug surfing. You use the card of your favorite network and it works on all networks using OCHP.
I don't understand, what incentives do networks have to sign up to this? Will it be legislation driven? Uk networks inherently are slow to evolve, sometimes backwards, and continually fight for customer loyalty over numbers. When and how does this happen?

·
9,719 Posts
I don't understand, what incentives do networks have to sign up to this
JLR and other manufacturers may look at OCHP as a way of them providing a single point of access and payment from the car to access any network. Don't provide the OCHP interface to your network don't get that customer base...

I believe the only reason CYC never implemented OCHP was money and resource related. FastNED and New Motion both implement the protocol.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jlr have already signed to chargemaster as sole supplier though? So I won't happen there. Like I said, networks in the uk come across as greedy and don't want to share.

·
9,719 Posts
Jlr have already signed to chargemaster as sole supplier though?
Nothing confirmed, they only stated they are seeking strategic suppliers across all territories to provide an single interface to access charging. The easiest technical way to do this is with OCHP.

·
9,719 Posts
They don't get to play in the party, however I am pretty sure they are implementing it to integrate the various disparate bits of they network and schemes into a sensible platform.

·
Registered
960 Posts
about to read up, assuming there is no cost just to have a card ill sign up just to show interest, honestly i dont mind having one rfid card for everything, it would be nice to use normal money but just having one card you know *should* work is a lot better than the current mess. One thing i hate about polar is one card per account, we are a 2 plugin car household, tend to keep the card in the Bev and never plug in the phev when out just because signing up to 2 subscriptions for very slight use seems daft to me

hrmm, contact link doesn't work for me, will this work without an app? the site seems to imply i need an app first then can register for a card, currently on my phone so don't want to spend ages to sign up to be told phone not supported

1 - 20 of 46 Posts