Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just bought a couple second hand pod point chargers, both look to be able to charge upto 22kw on 3 phase, I don't know a great deal about them, I intend to sell them for a profit. One is type 2 un tethered, the other is type 2 tethered. And idea what they are worth? Would be nice to see them sold to someone with 3 phase that could benefit from the power.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Are they the Solo domestic units? Maybe add some photos and model numbers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I might be interested, although it's still early days for me - not got an EV yet, but am planning to add a charger at the workplace. Let me know if you firm up a price (I have no idea myself).

·
Registered
655 Posts
So I've just bought a couple second hand pod point chargers, both look to be able to charge upto 22kw on 3 phase, I don't know a great deal about them, I intend to sell them for a profit. One is type 2 un tethered, the other is type 2 tethered. And idea what they are worth? Would be nice to see them sold to someone with 3 phase that could benefit from the power.

Steve.
Stick them on ebay

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
That is a "public" charging points that is locked and will only work with the PodPoint back-end system. PodPoint may be prepared to unlock for home or workplace use, you could contact them and provide the PSL number. They may want proof you acquired them legally.

What does tethered one look like?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
If someone wanted to fix a 3-phase Podpoint that's locked & cannot be re-enabled for some reason, there's no reason it couldn't have a Viridian 2.0 EPC (ECU) fitted, plus 3-phase Contactor. Cost woud be around £125 for the EPC, plus whatever for Contactor & any other bits.

Their docs show a couple of wiring configs, one has RCD type A in the CU, then an MCB in the EVSE; another just has an RCBO in the CU. Their diagram of the Contactor looks awfully like a 3-phase one to me.

Both their wiring diags show a PEN-loss device used. They state the PEN-loss device they provide is only specified for a single phase system, but they don't specifically state that this EPC device cannot be used on a 3-phase EVSE. I take this to mean that if you're using an Earth Rod, and so don't need the PEN-Loss device, then you're fine to go ahead on a 3-phase EVSE. But as ever, needs a qualified sparky to decide.

FWIW the Viridian has support for solenoid as well as motor-controlled Cable-lock, so that bit should probably work, with a bit of luck!

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
If someone wanted to fix a 3-phase Podpoint that's locked & cannot be re-enabled for some reason, there's no reason it couldn't have a Viridian 2.0 EPC (ECU) fitted, plus 3-phase Contactor. Cost woud be around £125 for the EPC, plus whatever for Contactor & any other bits.
I can't see the point and it really wouldn't be easy to fit them in a PodPoint safely - it ain't no Rolec! Better for OP to just get what they can for the PodPoint on ebay and build a new 3 phase OpenEVSE with the parts you mention. But a tad irrelevant anyway as the OP does not actually want a 3 phase charging point, just to make some money :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
^ Thanks on that 3-phase OpenEVSE mention. I've not yet got as far as looking for open charger ideas. Timely. I have 3-phase at work, but probably won't have a 22kW AC chargeable car as my first EV (it'll most likely have a 7kW AC charge spec). So I've been wondering if the 22kW was worth the extra cost/hassle.

I'm off to do some Googling...

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
IIRC @Glyn Hudson Knows a lot about OpenEVSE - perhaps he has some links to share :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts