Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 40 Posts

· Registered
471 Posts
The plug that will rapid charge your car will be attached to the station, and be big and heavy with 5 pins.

The plug that will slow charge your car is the one in the boot.

Look under “Europe”. DC fast. AC slow.

Not always as some chargers like the Tesla ones in Europe for example have both a tethered CCS lead and a tethered 3 phase Type 2 lead so for anyone that is unfamiliar with the way things work it is a very easy mistake to made.

· Registered
471 Posts
Same here in that the handover was non existent when it came to anything like charging but luckily I had been used to driving other electric cars with work so had picked up the basics. May be a part of that for anyone that has bought a car in the past year is because of the restrictions as when I picked my car up it was all done hands free in a car park with no real demonstration of anything as the car had been disinfected so the dealer could not get back in it to show me anything just stand outside and try to describe things to me.

· Registered
471 Posts
Given the concerns already about potential peak load when we have 7kW car charging on most domestic properties, I'm sure the DNOs will be right behind that idea ... holding a very big knife :ROFLMAO:
I was at a meeting with a power company a couple of years ago and they were quite keen on the idea of having three phase to all new homes as their view was that this would help resolve the phase balancing problems that are starting to show in some areas of the low voltage network. The bloke had a presentation showing a typical new UK housing development with a three phase supply running along the road with each alternate house connected to each phase in a repeating sequence.

He suggested that with chargers being put in to new houses the problem that was bound to come up would be when more chargers were on over night at off peak rates on one of the three phases than the other two as there would be little in the way of normal load balancing and so there would be higher neutral currents than the network was designed to deal with. If all these new chargers were fed from three phase supplies the problem would go away.

· Registered
471 Posts
The stupid thing is that three phase to all homes is completely normal across most of Europe it seems to be only the UK and Ireland that have this system of supplying homes with just a single phase. The story I heard was that the single phase to homes thing and other oddities like the use of PME were all down to savage cost cutting where reducing the cost of the cables was more important than anything else.

Sure a three phase system can cope with limited amounts of imbalance for a time but the way it was told to me was that the key thing was the length of time that it had to deal with a severe imbalance and car charging was something that could lead to longer periods of abnormally high imbalance than the system was originally designed to be able to handle safely. I can get the point behind this as the load that car charging presents is going to be for longer than any other normal domestic load.

· Registered
471 Posts
When I was working in Germany and Austria I didn't see a single house with just a single phase supply it seemed to be standard there for all houses to to have three phase even older places. France seemed to have a mix of some three phase and some single phase supplies but three phase was a lot more common than here or in the UK.

· Registered
471 Posts
The other point worth making is that the manuals are now far more complicated than they ever used to be. after months of ownership I still find I need to click the bookmark for the manual and have a read up on how something works as there is just a mountain of things to learn about cars nowadays.

1 - 6 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.