Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had fitted today, as per the title, a podpoint 7kwh charger having previously been using the 3 pin granny cable for charging my leaf 30kw.

My concern relates to the fact that, despite being an improvement(time wise) over the previous charger mentioned, it seems to be charging at the rate of a 3.6kwh rather than 7kwh I paid for. I understood it to take just 5.5 hours to charge but in the 3.5 hours I put it on for this evening it only charged 45% (from 35 to 80). Is this normal and what I should expect going forward? Could it be that they have installed the wrong version? Would it likely have charged in the correct time had I gone from 0-100 and I just need to be patient?
I know these are questions for them, but, forewarned is forearmed and all that; so I’m looking to lean on your experience as to whether I’m concerned about nothing or have a legitimate grievance as frankly, it’s all double Dutch to me!
I apologies for my ignorance, it’s gone 1am here; I have to be up in 4 hours and I can’t sleep for the thought of having to deal with anything that’s gone wrong.
Thanks for your time.
Wicket

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,340 Posts
Could be a few things going on here. First of all, some Leaf models were only fitted with a 3.3 Kw onboard charger from new. This can be checked from the car's screen display that shows the time left to fully charge when plugged in. If that shows two estimates listed as 6.6 and 3.3 with two times given then the car has the larger charge module installed and it should be charging at 6.6 Kw. However, if only 3.3 is showing then that car will never charge higher than that whatever power wallbox it is plugged into. This can also be checked by looking at the plate on the power converter under the bonnet.

Speedometer Car Vehicle Odometer Trip computer Automotive tire Font Water Automotive exterior Asphalt

Also, as you surmised, the PodPoint unit itself can also be configured to supply either 3.3 or 6.6 Kw. Usually, that can be switched between the two levels by adjusting the internals.

A third variable can be the power supply to the Podpoint. That can be from either a 16 amp or 32 amp trip inside the house consumer unit or sometimes from a small independent CU fitted by the PodPoint engineer.

Not content with those three variables the cable connecting the car can also be either a 3.3 or 6.6 kW rating. This normally only occurs if the wallbox is the socketed version and not a tethered unit, with its own cable attached, and when a loose cable has been purchased separately without checking that the correct version has been sourced. The rating for the cable will be printed on there.

If any of those four aspects turn out to be a 3.3 kW (16 amps) version then the whole connection, CU to car, will be limited to that power transfer, even if the others are rated at 32 amps. It always defaults to the lowest rating in the whole chain.

If the car, CU trip, and cable are all rated at 32 amps or 6.6 kW, then it must be the PodPoint box that is the limiting factor and they can be contacted to activate the higher delivery power from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
As others have said check which OBC your car has. My Podpoint was set up with the dip switches in the wrong position so only delivering 3.3kw. An email to Podpoint and it was sorted the next day.

If you're confident enough with simple DIY then you can isolate the charger and check the dip switches yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts