Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I have our car but having to use the 3 pin plug for the moment for charging, which isn't too bad.

I completed a remote survey of our set up for a pod point charger to be installed and this is the reply I have. I need some help / advice.

So our fuse board (downstairs WC) / meter(outside porch area) is at the front of the house. I want the pod point to be set up in the garage. We have a fuse box in the garage too.

This is the reply from Pod Point:

In order to connect the Pod Point to your garage/outbuilding supply, you would first need to upgrade your fuse board; this will need to be done by your own electrician.

Our requirements for the fuse board in the garage/outbuilding are as follows:

• To be supplied by at least a 6mm 3 core armoured or twin and earth cable;
  • The main fuseboard must have a 40A supply which is either protected by i) a Type A RCD , ii) an approved Type AC RCD (see attached document) or iii) is non RCD protected; AND
  • The garage/outbuilding fuseboard must have a spare 32A MCB for us to connect to which is either protected by a i) a Type A RCD , ii) an approved Type AC RCD (see attached document) or iii) is non RCD protected.

The above will be sufficient provided there are no other high fix loads in the garage (i.e. fridge, freezers etc.) The other option would be to some directly off the meter, but this would involve a complicated cable run. Please do let me know if you have any questions.

So my questions are:

1, Has anyone had their fusebox upgraded?
2, Does anyone have their charger in the garage, if so did you have to do the same as above?
3, If you do not mind me askin, how much did it cost?

Thank you kindly,

Ben.

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much but our meter is right at the front and garage at the back of the house after the garden.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Yeah - my meter is to the RH side of the house and the garage is to the left and not attached

they ran the cable in a channel

You will need to know what your cabling is to the fuse board and it may need replacing anyway

JJ

·
Registered
104 Posts
Depending on available funds I'd always upgrade the garage db. And again depending on if you need the cable rerunning it would cost between £300 and £500.

Sounds like you've got a old db. Put a pic of it, a pic of the mcb feeding it and the cable going into your garage db (with any writing on it as well) then do a drawing of your house, mark where your meter is, where you want your pod (make sure your WiFi can reach ) and how many meters it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We're jus tin the midst of having ours done - no garage board etc, but it has turned into a 26m cable run from the meter to the charger location, so a few extra ££. The engineer did say that had we gone past 30m it would have been a thicker cable requirement to avoid resistance losses. So a long run from the meter is entirely do-able, though feeding off the garage board would be neater I suspect.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I honestly thought because I had a fuse board / RCD panel in the garage in a relatively modern house that it would be easy. It’s not.
What my guy did was mini RCD in the meter cupboard then cable run to the garage wall - it’s the safest and easiest way.

I posted some pics up of my install in another thread

JJ

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey folks,

It's been a while, been busy at work! Does anyone know a sparky who could come and sort this out for us. I am in the Warwickshire area.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Just get a local Sparky in to do the non-EV part of the work. Also consider getting in a groundworker to install the cable, they'll be a lot cheaper than a Sparky who really won't want that part of the work.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Your best option is still coming fro the meter

ifyou measure the diameter of the cable going into the bottom of that fuse box in the garage you will find out if it’s thick enough but I’d say there is a good chance it’s not. (It should be around 16mm in diameter if it’s 6mm armoured).

then check the house fuse board and se if it has a 40A fused switch for the garage

at my house, when I tracked that cable back to my house, it was no way suitable to carry the current needed.

JJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts