Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to EVs and new to this forum. Ordered an e-Niro 4+ and the vehicle is expected in about 3 weeks time.

My dealer has passed my details to Pod Point, and they sent me an order form to complete online.

On the first page of the form, I need to choose between Universal or Tethered charger. What is more popular? I take it 'tethered' is more convenient. But am limiting myself with that choice? Some times I have visitors driving Teslas who might want to charge. Would a tethered charger work for them? or Universal is the only option?

Look forward to your thoughts on this. Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
372 Posts
I've had a tethered charger for the past 6 years. Never looked back!

The tethered lead will be a type 2, which is compatible with most EVs on the market today, including (I believe) Tesla.
Pod Point solo comes with a 7.5m tethered lead, and is therefore better value.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
A Tethered cable will be Type 2. So it very much is universal still since this is the standard connector in Europe, even on Tesla vehicles. The only exceptions in the UK are a few of the earliest EVs. The first generation Nissan LEAF, the Mitsubishi imiev and family, Renault Fluence EV and that's about it that I can think of - They are Type 1 instead.

I assume your Niro comes with a Type 2 cable? If so, keep it in the trunk for public charging if ever out and about, then get this tethered one and you can have the simplicity of plugging in at home without messing with dirty or wet cables to store away in the car all the time.

The only time I would say tethered isn't the answer is if you have a Type 1 car, or you have visitors who have such a car. In that case a socket may be preferable.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,913 Posts
Tethered (hypervolt) install tomorrow, due to recent house move. 4 or 5 years use of tethered charger in the last house.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
164 Posts
I have the tethered pod point with my eNiro.
Definitely the right choice, as there is no faffing with the cable in the boot.

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
382 Posts
Hi all, new to EVs and new to this forum. Ordered an e-Niro 4+ and the vehicle is expected in about 3 weeks time.

My dealer has passed my details to Pod Point, and they sent me an order form to complete online.

On the first page of the form, I need to choose between Universal or Tethered charger. What is more popular? I take it 'tethered' is more convenient. But am limiting myself with that choice? Some times I have visitors driving Teslas who might want to charge. Would a tethered charger work for them? or Universal is the only option?

Look forward to your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Tethered PodPoint here as well very tidy to store 7.5 meter cable and easy to use. Eniro 4+

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
Tethered is far easier and doesn't cost much more, all new and recent cars are Type 2. The only downside would be if you bought a used legacy car with Type 1, such as Ampera, old Leaf or Outlander. If that isn't likely definitely get tethered IMO.

At last house we ended up with two Type 2 tethered so Outlander friend had to use granny, but as small battery and staying overnight it was no issue.

I also agree PodPoint is a good choice as not too ugly IMO and good cable management.

Reactions: KNV-e-Niro

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,956 Posts
I've lost count of the people who selected a socket wall point and later bought a second type 2 to type 2 cable to leave permanently plugged in to make it into a tethered unit. They could then leave the first cable in its bag in the boot ready for any away charging. They simply got fed up with the faff of moving the cable back and forth from the boot and constantly fighting to coil a wet and dirty snake up as they also soiled the boot carpet. Many then had to invent some way of securing the cable to the wall. Tethered every time for me.

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
I've lost count of the people who selected a socket wall point and later bought a second type 2 to type 2 cable to leave permanently plugged in to make it into a tethered unit. They could then leave the first cable in its bag in the boot ready for any away charging. They simply got fed up with the faff of moving the cable back and forth from the boot and constantly fighting to coil a wet and dirty snake up as they also soiled the boot carpet. Many then had to invent some way of securing the cable to the wall. Tethered every time for me.
100% agree, but Skoda have a solution to that 😆 Maybe a dealer will chuck in free if you buy a £50K Enyaq

Reactions: KNV-e-Niro

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tethered it is then. Thanks everyone for making the decision easy for me.

Now my biggest challenge. The electric meter is in the middle of my new build house (not on any external facing wall). Struggling to work out how to get the cable out from there to my drive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Podpoint fitted a Type 1 tethered unit for my 2014 Leaf. That was in September 2019. If I change to a car with Type 2 connections then adapters are available. Mine is a low power unit (3.2kW?) but all the cables are rated for the 7kW version including the tethered cable. Rumour has it that the Podpoint unit converts to 7kW by way of switch settings inside...

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,956 Posts
100% agree, but Skoda have a solution to that 😆 Maybe a dealer will chuck in free if you buy a £50K Enyaq
£13.50 for a couple of dishwashing sponges is a bit pricy. I was amused that Skoda wants to know the car model to check if it's compatible with those two sponges.

Quote " Recommended -To verify compatibility, please enter your vehicle details. Our trained Parts Advisors will check this product is suitable. "

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

Now my biggest challenge. The electric meter is in the middle of my new build house (not on any external facing wall). Struggling to work out how to get the cable out from there to my drive.
Yep, same issue here. Solid floors too. I have a possible route drilling through walls, behind skirting, trench all the way around the house etc but can’t be bothered with that amount of work. The existing cable to the garage can handle 20A which will do for the moment. Cheers

·
Registered
Vauxhall Creak e SE Nav
72 Posts
Well, I’m a minority as I have the universal socket, and I’m totally happy with that, because I needed a 10 meter cable as I have a long drive, I aesthetically preferred the no cable look and finally because I live where the unscrupulous would definitely be tempted to chop and run with the cable if it was tethered. Also I only charge once a week, so no hardship wrapping the cable up and storing it in a water resistant bag when I do charge.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would always go for the untethered socket. My first charge point had a tethered cable which suffered wear in the first two years and had to be replaced with a socket. If the cable wears now I only need to replace the cable, and I have a socket which can be used by any car carrying the appropriate cable.

I generally leave the cable attached to the socket so it is like a tethered cable to use. I have a holder screwed to the wall in which the end of the cable can be attached to keep it out of the rain and instantly available.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,956 Posts
I would always go for the untethered socket. My first charge point had a tethered cable which suffered wear in the first two years and had to be replaced with a socket. If the cable wears now I only need to replace the cable, and I have a socket which can be used by any car carrying the appropriate cable.

I generally leave the cable attached to the socket so it is like a tethered cable to use. I have a holder screwed to the wall in which the end of the cable can be attached to keep it out of the rain and instantly available.
That was interesting. You have done exactly what I said that many socket fans do and eventually leave a loose cable permanently plugged into a socketed wall charger - totally replicating a proper tethered unit. And you changed from a tethered arrangement because somehow a tethered cable will wear but a loose cable left permanently plugged into a socket won't.

And then, rather than replacing a worn tethered cable by wiring in an easily obtained new cable, you replaced the entire wall unit and then arranged to end up with a 'tethered' system again by leaving a loose cable in that new socketed unit.

I must be missing something here because that appears, at first sight, to contradict your assertion that you always go for untethered. You have confirmed that at no time have you actually used a socket unit. Just replaced a proper tethered unit with a simulated one.

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
151 Posts
Same here. I'm in an extended house with a mix of solid floors, suspended floors, double skinned walls, concrete drives... All good fun!

I decided to negotiate a cost for a local installed to supply the 40m EV cable, and I did the all donkey work (with advice). It was slightly more than the fixed price, and then a very muddy crawl space, two double skinned walls, a 20m 50+cm deep trench through grass and soil, a 3m 25cm deep trench with steel cap through a mix of concrete, rubble and tar, a single-skinned (engineering brick garage wall) later, and I was there. And exhausted haha!! . Today the installers came, attached the unit, and plumbed in either end for me. Just need an EV to test it with now!

it was a great excuse to buy a massive SDS drill bit though. Could use it to drill for oil!

Anyway, I digress.. I decided on tethered - I was in the same boat. Our forthcoming EV is a lease car through work, so will be getting replaced at some in the next 4 years, and I didn't want to end up with an 'out of date' plug. Being Yorkshire, I hate paying for things once, let alone twice. But, it looks like manufacturers are settling on the type 2, and according to my installer, the tethered cables are easy to replace should they need to. It's the same internals in the PodPoint, but a different attachment on the terminals.

On a slight downer though, looking at pictures, I think the lads fitted the pod point on its side, as in 90degrees out o_O.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,956 Posts
On a slight downer though, looking at pictures, I think the lads fitted the pod point on its side, as in 90degrees out o_O.
I thought the same as the name ran vertically and queried it with the installer. He said that it was fitted correctly and pointed to a tiny moisture drain hole at the base. This is correct >>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
151 Posts
I thought the same as the name ran vertically and queried it with the installer. He said that it was fitted correctly and pointed to a tiny moisture drain hole at the base. This is correct >>>>>>>>>>>>
View attachment 143784
Mine runs horizontally.........

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, it means the cable comes out the side rather than the bottom, and drainage holes and the like might not be present.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts