Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? My 7kw Podpoint is being installed on an outside wall next Monday, but I want to build an outside cupboard this weekend to accommodate it and the associated electrical hardware.

According to the technical specification the point is 360mm in diameter and 150mm deep, so I assume that is what I need to accommodate. However, I am not sure whether the point protrudes from the wall, or whether the coiled 4.8 metre cable increases the overal diameter. If someone would measure the actual size of their unit and let me know the space it occupies that would be most helpful at this stage.

Yours in charging,

Gerard

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If you mount the holster in the cupboard it will stick out way further than the wall pod.
I'm not sure of the dimensions whilst at work, I'll try and get some pictures and sizes for you later....

Though my tethered podpoint has lived outside happily for 4 years (in a city centre) I'm curious as to why you want a cupboard? Surely you want the daily repeatable task to be as swift and as easy as possible, especially when it's cold and rainy?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of you. I've got a breaker box, 13amp socket too, and it don't believe them when they say this stuff is weatherproof, I also thought a cupboard would look better, plus we're grade II listed!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The cable sits in a recess behind the front of the PodPoint so depending how tightly you wind it it shouldn't exceed the 360mm diameter of the unit. However you do need space around it to get the cable in!! You can't build an enclosure that's snug or you won;t be able to put the cable back. This assumes a tethered unit, if you had a socketed Type2 version the cable inserts into the centre and you could hang it elsewhere, such as below the PP.

Here's mine just after they were installed (white stuff on the brickwork and plinth is dust, before it was washed off), As @Parax says the plug in it's holster protrudes a long way out, probably a good 250mm.

IMG_8781.jpg
IMG_8782.jpg

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I happen to be working form home today, so...

Type1 Tethered Podpoint for Leaf:

IMG_8989.jpg

IMG_8990.jpg

Type 2 Tethered Podpoint for everything else:

IMG_8991.jpg

IMG_8992.jpg

Really must tidy up the outside of the house - when it's a bit warmer...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sleeting here. Just sat in the car with the heating on and did my emails. Probably much cheaper than heating the house.

I reckon if I mount a sturdy block below the point the fitter might be happy to mount the holster at right angles to the wall. Worth a try I think.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Your Type2 is different to mine @Parax

Have PP switched supplier from Mennekes to ITT?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts