Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, just over a year and half in my PodPoint charger failed on Tuesday night. There was enough charge to get to work yesterday and try again last night. Still no luck. There is just one reset switch on the distribution box in the meter cabinet. I tried that but it has made no difference. No lights, no power. So now I am grounded unless I can find somewhere nearby to charge up.

Called Pod Point. Service was just terrible. The agent I spoke to had no idea -- not even a script to follow. She kept putting me on hold while she went and asked someone else. Even then she got the instructions wrong. When I asked to speak directly to the person she was talking to she said they are "unavailable". Her position then was "I can't help you". When I pressed further she agreed to "escalate" it and someone would call or email me back. She could not tell me when. So I just have to sit and wait.

This is terrible service by anyone's measure. I guess the moral of the story is, don't buy from Pod Point. Have others experienced similar problems?

Searching through the installation correspondence I cannot find any mention of a guarantee or warranty period. Does anyone know if there is one?

Thanks

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,513 Posts
OLEV grant = Minimum 3 year warranty.

Podpoint has a 3 year warranty.

3 Year Warranty:

Pod Point home charge points are covered by a comprehensive 36 month warranty. Any hardware failure should be promptly reported to us at: [email protected]

Please quote the serial number, the date of installation and a brief description of the fault. The Pod Point technical team will carry out an assessment and will contact you to get further details and if necessary arrange a service visit.

The warranty will be void if the Pod Point unit is opened, modified, tampered with or repair is attempted by anyone other than a Pod Point appointed electrician.

·
Premium Member
10,413 Posts
Sorry to hear it is failed, presumably you have a granny charger you can use at home? All charging points can fail and no manufacture will offer same day repair, so important to have some contingency. We had a minor fault with our first Chargemaster unit after 2 years and they came within a week to replace it.

I found Podpoint support good when I couldn't get my unit added to my account. I suggest you call
020 7247 4114 and say it is faulty and you need a repair under the 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found Podpoint support good when I couldn't get my unit added to my account. I suggest you call
020 7247 4114 and say it is faulty and you need a repair under the 3 year warranty.
Yes. The number you quote is the number I did call. I'm pleased you had good service but I have no commitment from Pod Point to respond in any time frame at all. That does not strike me as good service and I think it should be shared on the forum.

Thanks for pointing out there is a three year warranty. I cannot find any reference to it. Do you know where I could find it?

·
Premium Member
10,413 Posts
Yes. The number you quote is the number I did call. I'm pleased you had good service but I have no commitment from Pod Point to respond in any time frame at all. That does not strike me as good service and I think it should be shared on the forum.

Thanks for pointing out there is a three year warranty. I cannot find any reference to it. Do you know where I could find it?
I assume it was ordered and installed directly by Podpoint? If so, I would have expected them to investigate on same day and arranged a repair appointment within a week. In your shoes I would phone and ask to speak to a manager - polite but firm. If one not available I would say I need a call back same day.

3 year warranty is on their web site.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Worrying as I’ve my install booked for 28/11. I largely purchased on pp having a relatively good reputation, you can find issues with them all online, and I’ve a friend who has had one that’s been flawless for three years.

·
Registered
278 Posts
IME of public Pod Point chargers is that when they're out of service it's pretty much impossible to get any definitive timescales for fixing. There's one local to me that only charges to 3kW on one side, the other is stone cold dead and has been for at least 3 months if not more. I had reported it twice but like the OP spoke to someone who I sensed barely cared and didn't seem knowledgeable about EVs generally.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well. It's now Tuesday evening (6 days later) and still no message of any kind from PodPoint in response to the 'escalation' I was promised. I intended to call them again today but, frankly, I have a life to live and a bunch of other stuff to get done as well.

I did ask to speak to a more senior person on my first call but was told they are 'unavailable' so I don't think that is going to work.

Anyone know if there is a regulator where I can raise a complaint and get the warranty honoured with some actual service?

·
Registered
6 Posts
From the OLEV site

Q15 I have a complaint regarding my chargepoint installed under the grant scheme, what should I do?
If you have any issues with the chargepoint or installer, you should try to resolve these with the chargepoint installer in the first instance.
If you feel that your issues are not being addressed, contact OLEV at [email protected].
If your complaint is related to a chargepoint installed under the domestic chargepoint grant and which is not meeting the minimum requirements of the grant, we will endeavour to help you resolve those issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes - my pod point failed 10 days after installation.It was a Friday night and I needed to go to somewhere very early on Saturday morning, plugged it into the car that evening and it failed with the flashing red light of doom... I plugged in the granny charger and I still didn't have enough miles for the journey.

The out of hours support team just suggested turning it on and off (usual IT solution), and all they could suggest was just sitting tight until Monday morning. In the end I ended up sending an email of complaint to their CEO, Erik Fairbairn and posting a comment on their facebook page. That seemed to work, as on Saturday morning, the original engineer who did my installation turned up at my house to fix the pod point.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fills me with dread. I got a new 7kw pod point installed 28/11, have to say the install guy was brilliant. I’m just hoping that the unit is reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Pod-Point install about nine months now. A couple of times for reasons unknown to me it has red light showing. I switch off and on again at the breaker and i am up a running again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well. 19 days of runaround so far and still no charger. Last week Podpoint acknowledged they would need to visit the site and replace the unit. They promised an email with a confirmed visit time would be sent to us. No email. No visit time. Yesterday we called again. The earliest they can do is Saturday -- yet another 5 days of waiting -- and that only as a special service because they "do not normally do maintenance on Saturdays".

I can only advise anyone reading this post to avoid dealing with Podpoint if you are not already committed. Their customer care is zero and their ability to provide support barely works.

Thanks to those who recommended alternative complaint channels above. Will follow those up if the issue is not finally resolved by the Saturday visit.

For those who might be wondering. Yes, we do have a granny charger and have re-arranged things so the car can be brought close enough to a domestic 3-pin socket in the garage. However, the granny charger trips the circuit breakers unpredictably. It's probably because of other sockets on the same loop. Last week we were coming home in the cold and wet and the electric gate refused to open so we were locked out. Presumably because the gate motor is on the same circuit as the garage socket and it triggered the breaker when it started to draw current. Having paid good money for a proper charger I would like to have proper service if/when it fails.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final update: 21 days after first reporting, a Pod Point engineer visited the site, pronounced the unit 'dead', completely replaced the innards. Now all working. From the last prompt (of many) it took just 3 days for the engineer to arrive and it took him around 20 minutes to complete the work. So why couldn't Pod Point send an engineer 3 days after first discovering that the unit could not be reset? It would have saved us 18 days when we could not use the car and considerable aggravation.

Footnote: the engineer said I had an old version before and now have the latest version (2.3). He did not explain what the differences were. He also thought the warranty on the replacement unit would begin afresh, i.e. 3 years from the date of installation last week.

If anyone can shed light on these points it would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I would STRONGLY recommend that you have a dedicated / stand alone 13 amp three pin socket outlet fitted A.S.A.P. to avoid having a repeat of this problem, should it EVER happen again !.
Don't get burn't twice, have it done NOW before you forget.
Although the "Granny" unit is much slower than the wall box, it is an absolute life saver in this type of situation, as I am sure you will agree.
Like with all things on an EV - you need a "Back Up / Fall back" plan.
I have concerns over the Pod Point customer service, I requested a RFID card from them via e.mail.
Almost 4 months before I received an e.mail reply and yet another 2 weeks before I received it through the door.
Not the greatest service received, I have to say.

·
Premium Member
10,413 Posts
Great to hear fixed, but I agree poor service. We have two Type 2 chargers as replaced the Type 1 (after Ampera sold) with a PODPoint unit. At least if it dies we can still charge both cars (on alternative nights) while we wait for them...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts