Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POD Point Open Charge App – EV Driver Feedback

Hi all, quick update, since the first versions of the POD Point iOS and Android app were released in the summer, we now have close to 2000 downloads!

Our software department have lots of lovely-jubbly additional features which we will be releasing as soon as they are ready – which should build on the basics and make the EV driver charging experience even more intuitive and hassle-free.

But please let us know how POD Point have scored for our first app attempt and how we can make the basics of our charging app better for you guys.?.

Follow the link to leave feedback:
POD Point App - Version 1 Feedback

Thanks for the continued support guys!

The POD Point team
27th November 2015
App walkthrough.PNG

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A Windows Phone version would be nice. I, and several people I know, have Windows Phones now and so we can't use your posts. Your web site doesn't work in Windows Phone either, with the pins not appearing on the map. It's fine getting rid of RFID cards, that's a laudable aim, but not if you give me no way to access a charger.

EDIT: I did manage to get a charger going by using remote desktop on my phone to connect to my office PC, then using Chrome to select the charger on the list and claim the charge. It took so long that a colleague who was in the car with me actually laughed and called the charger, "a complete waste of time". I know it isn't, but you can see where he's coming from.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Belstar thanks for the quick feedback - we obviously want as many EV drivers as possible to access the app and we are in the process of bringing in more resources to help develop the app for the remaining mobile platforms! We'll let you know when they go live (eta new year). I'll also get software to take a look at the webapp compatibility with Windows phone as soon as possible.

Stats:
We started app development with the most popular platforms, iOS and Android and the download stats are interesting:
iOS approx 1400 downloads
Android approx 500 downloads!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The app login doesn't work if you have special characters in the password. My password is of the form "&abc%123*xyz" - I can log in perfectly on the mobile website, but the app just says "Authentication is required"

From a packet capture, it looks like you're not encoding * as %2A - although the other characters are encoded. That said, the problem might be at your back end.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi gary, thanks for that feedback - could you possibly let us know which version of Internet Explorer and which operating system you're using? We're trying to locate the issue

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hi gary, thanks for that feedback - could you possibly let us know which version of Internet Explorer and which operating system you're using? We're trying to locate the issue
For me it's IE11 in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. When zoomed out, the 'groups' appear (the circles indicating how many chargers are available), but when zooming in the chargers aren't actually pinned to the map. The search tool also does not work, with the progress animation just continuing indefinitely.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
IE11 on Windows 7. Not sure what browser my phone uses.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brilliant thanks Belstar and Gary, will get one of the team to look at IE11 on the operating systems you've listed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've filled in the questionnaire, but a couple of related things.........

Do you have to activate a "free" charging post? One of the ones I use is in an underground car park, so I understand this is an issue. Another is not on the PodPoint app, when I called the helpless they said just plug in

What do the lights on the post mean? Red/green/flashing green/purple

It would be nice if the post indicated whether it was in its initial 10 min period, or whether is was "activated" and would continue to charge the car to full.

Julian

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It would be nice if the post indicated whether it was in its initial 10 min period, or whether is was "activated" and would continue to charge the car to full.
I second this - this would be excellent, but I suspect it's difficult as I can imagine the command is not sent to the charger immediately.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Terence, Sorry for the problems you’ve experienced. That was an issue we had identified on a early version of the app, but thought we had fixed that one. If you’re not using the latest version, then please update and see if that resolves your problem. Are you on iOS or Android? Also, it would be good to talk to you about some of the more technical details if you are available? Can you DM us your email?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Jools,

Thanks for filling in the feedback form.

All our posts require the user to 'Confirm Charge' so host owners can monitor peak usage times/set access lists: we try to repeat the instructions in as many places as possible, so the user is informed, i.e.
1) On the POD Point itself
2) In the start-up walkthrough screens on the app
3) In the instructions section when you click on any specific POD Door.
Charge Instructions Shown In 3 Different Places.PNG

And if the POD is set to 'free' the user doesn't even need to have a credit card associated with their account, they just need to log in and 'Confirm Charge'!

There are a few locations where activation is not possible, such as underground carparks without signal and unfortunately in these cases the host owner will not be able to access usage data/set access lists, unless wifi is installed in that location.

If there are any PODs which you notice which should be on the app map and are not, please send me a feedback email from the app (it will come straight to me and I can immediately try and rectify the issue). But please remember, we don't put any of our older RFID PODs on the app map - as we don't want to confuse users and these will be swapped out to our newer units in the next 12months or so. All the PODs shown on the app map do not require a RFID card!

Lights
Red = Fault
Green = Charging
Flashing Green = EV is connected but it is not drawing any power
Solid Purple = Data communication issue but POD will still charge
Blue with a Pink flash = Available, ready and communicating

15 minute Count Down Timer
That is a nice suggestion guys - I'll look into it - however I suspect the software bods will say that until the user confirms their charge, no command is sent - therefore the app would not know which user's account to inform that they only have X amount of minutes left to confirm...
I'll also investigate if the lights on the POD could indicate a countdown. All good suggestions for feature roll out over the next 12/18 months!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Vamps, the app already does!

If you click on the POD Point, the drop down menu will show you if the host owner sets a fee or if the charge is free.
(see the photo below)
f968fb78-3d15-45bf-aec3-3c1cf4f3644c.png

We have plans to display this in more detail on the app in the next few version releases i.e. so the host can set dynamic pricing, so it displays one price for weekday charging and another for weekend charging etc!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts