Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hopefully you'll be able to shed some light and help advise me on the following.

I've got a Pod Point home charging unit, and recently moved to the Agile energy tariff with Octopus. To make best use of the tariff I'm looking at getting a smart cable from Ohme to charge when rates are below a certain threshold.

To see if I can use the Ohme cable on my Pod Point I contacted Ohme who said to contact Pod Point.

Pod Point replied with the following:

"Hello,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, we do not permit the use of adaptors or smart cables, such as Ohme Cables on our charging points. This is because this contravenes safety standards and can put the chargers into a fault mode. Please find the full reasons for this at the link below:

Chargers Beware! Converters & adaptors are not permitted on our network | Pod Point "

In essense, do any of you have a Pod Point charger at home and use an Ohme cable?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think that reply is assuming you wanted to use the Ohme cable on a public podpoint charger. It works fine with my podpoint home unit.

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
258 Posts
Hi all,

Hopefully you'll be able to shed some light and help advise me on the following.

I've got a Pod Point home charging unit, and recently moved to the Agile energy tariff with Octopus. To make best use of the tariff I'm looking at getting a smart cable from Ohme to charge when rates are below a certain threshold.

To see if I can use the Ohme cable on my Pod Point I contacted Ohme who said to contact Pod Point.

Pod Point replied with the following:

"Hello,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, we do not permit the use of adaptors or smart cables, such as Ohme Cables on our charging points. This is because this contravenes safety standards and can put the chargers into a fault mode. Please find the full reasons for this at the link below:

Chargers Beware! Converters & adaptors are not permitted on our network | Pod Point "

In essense, do any of you have a Pod Point charger at home and use an Ohme cable?

Thanks in advance.
I do. The electrician had to connect the OHMe cable (commando plug version) directly to the PodPoint input (removing the commando connector), thereby bypassing the PodPoint circuitry. If you do that you will most likely need an earth rod or PEN detect device for safe use and to comply with EV charging regs. I‘m assuming your PodPoint is a tethered unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that reply is assuming you wanted to use the Ohme cable on a public podpoint charger. It works fine with my podpoint home unit.
Funnily enough, that's how I read it too. I've replied back to them to query this.

Have you had any issues at all with your Ohme cable through your Pod Point unit?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
Given that it contains the sentence
Therefore, we ask that customers don’t use charging adaptors or smart cables to avoid our public charge points being taken out of service unnecessarily.
it seems that you correct.
The whole concept of the Type 2 Ohme is that it's plugged into an EVSE so I can see no reason why they aren't going to work with a Pod Point.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use a pod point and an Ohme smart cable (Untethered Pod Point) and it recently broke (permanent fault) and they replaced the entire internals of the unit without really explaining what the problem was - they eventually blamed my Ohme cable saying you shouldn't use "non-standard" cables with it.

That said I have continued using it and it hasn't broken again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts