Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2018 egolf and a Pod-Point 7kw charger.

lately we have had 2 problems that I could do with some help With. They may or may not be related.

firstly, the pod point stopped releasing the cable. No big deal really as we just made sure it was staying dry. Now I need to get the cable out as it is damaged. Any suggestions? I’ve taken the cover off the Pod-Point but not sure what part the locking pin would be.

secondly, the golf started holding the cable in at the car end... not all of the time but intermittent. It went in to vw and they couldn’t see anything wrong. Wanted to book it in and for me to bring the cable. So it’s booked in next week. However, yesterday it released no problem. Until I looked at it. What had actually happened is one of the pins had melted and part of the plug stayed in the car end. (Pic attached) does anyone have any idea why this would have happened?
Thanks
darren View attachment 128504

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Melted because too hot because metal pin hot because bad contact. @32A you don't need much resistance to generate a lot of heat.
Probably poor contact between male and female pins due to general wear & tear and/or dirt, but it could also be the connection from wire to pin inside the socket/plug has got loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts