Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few times now my pod point wall charger has stopped charging. It displays a solid red led. A power cycle gets it charging again. I've read that the red led just means error, has anyone any experience of this? Any known causes? Tomorrow I'm going to try it with the 10 amp evse to try and asatain if it's the car or the pod point.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had issues with my PodPoint install after they cut seals on meter and did not inform me, the electricity supplier or network operator, as legally required leaving me with cut seals and open to chargers of meter tampering. Electricity supplier sent engineer to fit smart meter instead of replacing seals on old meter. This caused Podpoint wall charger to go to permanent red light error. Podpoint advised was a fault 3 - fuse safety device had been moved. £170 call out fee. Turns out meter engineer when fitting new meter did not move clip, but rewired differently so fuse saver was on incorrect live feed to PP charger. You can simply turn off PP charger at isolator, unclip the fuse saver device and move it to different live cable from main fuse box, reset PP isolator and this resolves issue.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Although anyone that cuts the seals on the fuse is supposed to only do so after getting DNO consent, or holding some form of standing consent (like meter fitters), there are millions of installations across the UK where this has been done by electricians without getting DNO consent. Technically it's a breach of the ESQCR, but it's a situation where there's often no other way to get safe isolation to do work other than for the fuse to be pulled by someone other than the DNO or meter contractor. Very often the DNO just won't bother to send someone around just to re-seal a fuse anyway.

For example, I fitted an isolator switch to our supply around 2 years ago, following a meter change from one that had a built-in isolator to one that didn't. I complied with the rules, called the DNO and requested the fuse be pulled for safe isolation whilst I did the work. The DNO emailed me consent to cut the seals and pull the fuse myself. I notified them on completion of the work and requested they re-instate the seals. They just didn't bother, and the fuse was without seals until just after Christmas last year, when we had a local network problem and the DNO came and fitted a monitor to our supply. I asked the chap doing that work if he could fit seals to the fuse when he was done, just for my peace of mind, but I'm pretty sure he'd not have bothered otherwise.

FWIW I'm a qualified and competent person, used to teach apprentice electricians years ago, and am up to date with BS7671:2018, the latest version of the regs, before someone suggests that there was a problem with me doing this work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts