Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2021 38.3kWh
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Hyundai Ioniq (full electric) on order (due to arrive 12th April), and have paid for a pod point and filled out the required forms

I have a question regarding the cabling as it’s quite unclear in the documentation.

We are in a new build property and have been assured by the developer the fuse box in the garage is capable of EV charging (it’s a 100amp fuse box with space)
My question is related to what needs connecting to the pod point. I was under the impression they could just connect to the fuse box in the garage (pending checks etc) and away we go. However the forms talk about cabling from both the distributor board/fuse box and electricity meter.
Our electricity meter is on the front of the house - the garage is in a seperate area away from the house, and the path between the two is a pathway and a parking area (servicing multiple houses) therefore no way of connecting

Does the PodPoint solo 7kw charger need to connect the electricity meter or can it just connect to the fuse box thing in the garage

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
does all your electric for the house also go through that fuse box/consumer unit in the garage? No additional consumer unit in the house? So the wires go from your meter, across a shared pathway to your detached garage, then back to you house? What happens if you want to install eg a new circuit in the house?

if so, and the meter is 100A and the fuse box has space, it should just need to connect there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does all your electric for the house also go through that fuse box/consumer unit in the garage? No additional consumer unit in the house? So the wires go from your meter, across a shared pathway to your detached garage, then back to you house? What happens if you want to install eg a new circuit in the house?

if so, and the meter is 100A and the fuse box has space, it should just need to connect there.
no I’m pretty sure it goes from the meter box to the main distribution board (there is a fuse labelled garage on that board) which is just inside the house next to where the meter is - and then to the garage.

·
Registered
282 Posts
no I’m pretty sure it goes from the meter box to the main distribution board (there is a fuse labelled garage on that board) which is just inside the house next to where the meter is - and then to the garage.
Right, make sense. So now you have two consumer units - main one in the house, and a smaller one in the garage. If you want to install a charger off the garage for your convenience then you need to confirm the wiring from your house to the garage is enough to take the additional load.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, make sense. So now you have two consumer units - main one in the house, and a smaller one in the garage. If you want to install a charger off the garage for your convenience then you need to confirm the wiring from your house to the garage is enough to take the additional load.
It’s a brand new house built last year. They were advertised as being able to support EV chargers in the garage fuse boxes

My confusion came with the install forms - does the charger also need to connect to the meter box or can it plug directly into the fuse box (if it is capable as we have been told)

the install documents mention something about an energy monitoring cable going to the meter box?

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
56 Posts
PodPoint won't engage with you until you've ordered the unit and filled in preliminary online forms. You're at this stage so should be able to send them photos of your garage CU and they'll assess its suitability. They were good at this; one-to-one emails directly to a person - rare these days!
The energy monitoring cable is a small current transformer that wraps around the incoming cable between the meter and the connection off to the charger. It measures power going to your whole house and allows the charger to assess whether too much power's being taken in total and throttles the charger output accordingly. For your configuration it is likely that it cannot easily be installed. Given that your house is modern and thought was given about EVs, it's likely it won't be needed. I know that not having the thing fitted has caused problems with charging Audi e-trons and I know that this issue has been dealt with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PodPoint won't engage with you until you've ordered the unit and filled in preliminary online forms. You're at this stage so should be able to send them photos of your garage CU and they'll assess its suitability. They were good at this; one-to-one emails directly to a person - rare these days!
The energy monitoring cable is a small current transformer that wraps around the incoming cable between the meter and the connection off to the charger. It measures power going to your whole house and allows the charger to assess whether too much power's being taken in total and throttles the charger output accordingly. For your configuration it is likely that it cannot easily be installed. Given that your house is modern and thought was given about EVs, it's likely it won't be needed. I know that not having the thing fitted has caused problems with charging Audi e-trons and I know that this issue has been dealt with.
Thanks

just being impatient I think and getting myself worked up that I might not be able to get the charger fitted and will have to rely on public chargers.
If the monitoring cable is required are there chargers that can do this wirelessly?

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
56 Posts
If the monitoring cable is required are there chargers that can do this wirelessly?
I don't know, I doubt it'll be needed in your case. Our house is nearly 20 years old and there have been no issues.

Perhaps more relevantly, the charger needs to be able to join your home's Wi-Fi network to be installed - it will work afterwards without this connection but at installation, network connection was contractual in my case. It needs to be in range to be able to do this; I'd ask PodPoint about this. It appears to use a low power (i.e. short range) Wi-Fi connection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know, I doubt it'll be needed in your case. Our house is nearly 20 years old and there have been no issues.

Perhaps more relevantly, the charger needs to be able to join your home's Wi-Fi network to be installed - it will work afterwards without this connection but at installation, network connection was contractual in my case. It needs to be in range to be able to do this; I'd ask PodPoint about this. It appears to use a low power (i.e. short range) Wi-Fi connection.
interesting. We have google mini in the garage which is able to get the wifi and various phones can also get WiFi in the carport so we should be on that front

hoping to hear back from Pod-Point today so will make sure I reply here about the cabling incase anyone else Google’s the same question!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts