Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Im having a 7kw Pod Point installed in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone has experience of what they do with the cable from the electricity meter to outside. Im hoping that they will drill through the wall close to my meter to the outside then fix the Pod Point on the wall outside. My concern is that my meter is in a cupboard in the hall and Im thinking the electrician may say he cant drill next to the meter for safety reasons but I don't want a cable coming out of the meter cupboard up the wall then going through to outside. If I know he's not going to drill the hole then I will drill it myself before he attends.

Any info would be useful.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
806 Posts
They will be wanting access to your fuse board not your electric meter

·
Registered
450 Posts
My meter and consumer unit is in a cupboard under the stairs.

Podpoint went through the wall next to the consumer unit and into the garage. I'mnot sure if there was already a hole through the wall, but if there was I think he enlarged it, then put filled it up with some caulk.

I was at work so had sketched out a rough plan of where I thought would be best to route the wiring and where I wanted the unit. Came home and it was where I'd suggested.

I think as long as it doesn't create too much extra work, or is a safety hazard, the installer will accomodate whatever you want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. My meter is on the front wall of the house and the fuse board/MCBs are on the side wall but they are close together. I just want him to drill a hole near to my fuse box and send the wire through the wall. I remember when I had the phone engineers round they wouldn't drill in the meter cupboard so I had to do it myself.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Then they will just drill through the side wall to your circuit board where they will need a space to install a new 32 amp fuse.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Assuming they install in the same way as mine, PP will install a Henley block to split the cable between the meter and the consumer unit. This feeds to a small consumer unit of its own and then the cable from that goes through the wall to the pod. My electric cupboard is a bit tight but they managed to get everything in there! The PP installer asked me for photos of the main fuse and meter area before she came so was prepared in advance. If you are concerned I'd give PP a call, they are very helpful.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ChargedEV did mine last week and they did a really good job and routed it so that it can't be seen in the house. There is just a couple of feet of cable from where it comes out of the wall to the charge box.

It has to be said that the two fitters were on the large size and one of them crawled into a roof space above our garage and I thought we were going to have to call out the fire brigade to extract him.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My meter box is on the side wall, with the consumer unit on the same wall (but inside of course) a bit higher up.

The Podpoint fitter connected to the cable to the meter and ran it from there round the outside of the house. (Running the cable internally would have been too disruptive to floors etc.) He did need to access to the consumer unit but no need to drill through the wall to get a cable to it.

I found that it was useful to ring up and speak to them in advance, they were quite helpful when I explained the options, they checked the house on Google Earth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine installed yesterday, he had the option of coming from the consumer unit but decided to go from the meter cupboard as it already had a double pole isolator fitted. Very neat installation and very impressed.......now just waiting on the car to plug it into .......
Camera1020_2017_09_18_17_13_33_496.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts