Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered my Pod Point and they have come back to me stating that my garage consumer unit is only Type AC RCD protected (pictured), and they require Type A be installed before they will come to fit the Pod Point. I'm not sure if they mean the main breaker and/or the RCCBs. Can anybody please advise exactly what I need to change out of my consumer unit, and recommend any specific Type A RCDs and/or incomers which will be compatible with this unit?

Thank you

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ha. Was this actually Podpoint, or the oik they send to do the job trying to drum up some extra cash? As above, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've had the garage unit specifically installed to accommodate the installation of the pod point. All the ground works are complete and it's fed by 10mm SWA directly from the meter point. All I need to know is which Type A RCDs to install. I appreciate it may be Pod Point making the requirement, but it's them telling me I need the Type A RCDs, so I can't go back to them and tell them to fit them, as I would assume they'd have made that suggestion if it were their responsibility.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had the garage unit specifically installed to accommodate the installation of the pod point. All the ground works are completed and it's fed by 100mm SWA directly from the meter point. All I need to know is which Type A RCDs to install. I appreciate it may be Pod Point making the requirement, but it's them telling me I need the Type A RCDs, so I can't go back to them and tell them to fit them, as I would assume they'd have made that suggestion if it were their responsibility.
You probably want a 40A Type A that is of the same brand as your board. Honestly though they should be fitting this stuff not you.

Why not let them fit one of their sub-boards as part of their standard cost, once they leave you can get a spark to change it over to whatever you want and you'll get the correct type A RCBO for 'free'.

If you do proceed with that board, you better hope you've got all the parts to make it a safe install (it currently isn't with that open space) otherwise the guy will rightly turn up and leave.

Also, why so many ways for a garage sub-board, surely lights, sockets, charger and a spare would be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the relevant blanking plates. It was a spare consumer unit that I had. I intend to create a ring main in the garage in due course, and will run electric gates, a powered garage door, and probably a hot tub or similar from it, in addition to some outside lighting, and the internal sockets and switches

1 - 8 of 8 Posts