Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Been reading up for a bit.... lurking around - first post (be nice... :-D)

Pod Point have booked to come and install my new charger on the 14th Dec... Type 2 7.4Kw tethered.

Does anyone have any experience about where they are prepared to put the unit itself?

From reading the installation manual, I see this

It is recommended the Pod Point be mounted at a height of 750mm-1.2m ( Fig. 2 ), (Building regulations BS8300:2018 recommends 450~1200mm, BS7671:2018 recommend 500~1500mm).

Id really like it installed under my kitchen window.. which would be at a height from the ground of about 510mm (to the bottom of the Pod Point unit) and then it would have about 10mm clearance under the window itself... but this is obviously lower than the Pod Point recommendation.. and it is only a recommendation...

Where I park my car, ultimately I will run the charge cable in a duct under the path (that goes to my front door) - but not looking to do this until Mid-End of January (also putting in some storage building) - and getting about an extra 700mm-800mm on the cable so it can be positioned nicely etc. would be ideal...

Just hoping someone else has already undergone something similar in terms of installation position..

Thanks!

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,188 Posts
Id really like it installed under my kitchen window.. which would be at a height from the ground of about 510mm (to the bottom of the Pod Point unit) and then it would have about 10mm clearance under the window itself... but this is obviously lower than the Pod Point recommendation.. and it is only a recommendation...

Where I park my car, ultimately I will run the charge cable in a duct under the path (that goes to my front door) - but not looking to do this until Mid-End of January (also putting in some storage building) - and getting about an extra 700mm-800mm on the cable so it can be positioned would be nicely etc. would be ideal...
Not sure exactly what you mean by "Where I park my car, ultimately I will run the charge cable in a duct under the path (that goes to my front door)". Are you thinking of mounting the PodPoint more than a couple of metres from where your car will be parked? Are you getting a tethered unit? On the tethered unit, the cable is usually 7.5m.

The supply cable to the PodPoint comes in from the bottom of the unit. You will need clearance for any gland that will be supplied depending on the cable supply. If it's only a short distance, that may just be 6mm SWA cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI,
Thanks for the quick reply...

Yes - its a tethered unit with the 7.5m cable

Where the car gets parked, its about 6 metres in cable length... but to drop the charge cable into a duct under the path, will add a little to the required length - so hoping to get every inch i can of cable :)

The meter cupboard is about 2 metres to the left of where i'd ideally like it installed.. its just the height that might be an issue

The red blob is where I'd prefer it... but the blue blob is where i think they would want to put it (obviously that bush being cut out etc.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bush will be gone (plan for this weekend)...

The issue that i have is where i park my car..

So this is about 6.5 metres from wall to car... and crosses the path that leads to my front door... what my plan was/is - to lift a couple of the slabs that make the path to the front door, put some ducting in and run the charge lead through the ducting.. where the bush is on the right hand side - this will come out (probably end of January now) and a wooden built wheelie bin store put in place, with a view that i would coil the cable up onto the back of the wheelie bin store, leaving it going under the path. By moving it to the red location - i get an additional 700-800mm of cable, that would make it nicer for the final vision etc... I have ordered the lock for the Pod Point so will need access to be able to turn it on and off etc.. no problem.. (not trying to hide it behind a bush etc.) just to make it easier in the long run - given the idea of what I would like to achieve with the cable... Just not sure if they will put it there..... given that it should meet building regs... but doesnt conform to their recommendation...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is also the option of mounting it on a metal post in the grass area nearer to the car. Then have the supply running in a conduit under the path.
Freestanding mount Manual
Just a thought
I did look at that.. but wondered if i would then be "stuck" with the position forever.. or needing them to come back and move it - if the wife decides to change the garden layout etc.. i thought by having it in the ducting, makes it tidy and simple, and non permanent... Not sure how far down the soil goes... to secure the post to either.. so would potentially need to go onto the drive bricks instead..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another option i guess.. is go with the blue location, and when i come round to the next step of the garden.. if the cable isnt long enough i can get my electrician to swap the 7.5m for a 10m cable - and that will be plenty long enough...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,618 Posts
Another option i guess.. is go with the blue location, and when i come round to the next step of the garden.. if the cable isnt long enough i can get my electrician to swap the 7.5m for a 10m cable - and that will be plenty long enough...
No, go large now and install the bin store with only the charge cable outside. PodPoint give you 15m as standard so dig a trench alongside the path to a decent 600mm depth and get the SWA buried. You might want to include a CAT cable in trunking depending on your WiFi. This way you can move it in the future if you need with no rewiring and only a standard length charge cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. I’m looking forward to the arrival of my first EV (eTron) - Audi had an offer for a free pod point. Just planning location, which will likely need to be on a post in the garden. It would be too far from the house and I don’t want the metal freestanding, so will mount a 7 inch fence post in concrete and put a metal bracket on to hold the charger.
I see from searching online that there’s a template for the installers, but I can’t see the exact measurements from this (I could print the template but don’t know the scale etc). Does anyone happen to have the template available, or know the exact measurements of the three holes that the solo needs to mount on?
Many thanks in advance :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts