Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Pod Point Solo installed back in early March, ready for my new LEAF. The car was then delayed due to some virus thingy, and I only picked it up on Tuesday (1 Sep). My first trial charge yesterday (for both car and charger) ended up with the Pod Point tripping out internally very shortly after charge start, with the light going from green to red. Resetting it by power-cycling the breaker didn't help.

After a long wait on hold to Pod Point support, a very helpful chap did an over-the-air firmware update (the unit is connected to my wifi) which solved the problem and also enabled future updates without intervention. Apparently this new firmware contains an updated set of "whitelist" parameters to check against when charging: my car was falling foul of the prior set as the charger was allegedly quite an old one, presumably sitting on a shelf for a while prior to installation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HOw I wish my Pod Point would make wireless connection and analysis of problem easier. No wifi apparently no analysis. I was told I can buy a new one for just under £1000 as it is out of warrant. Be aware. I am told they don't do repair they do replacements. The problem we have ascertained in the board inside the box worth a few quid but as far as I am aware they will not replace. No electrician myself but I feel I am being taken for a ride by these people. They have to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How I wish my Pod Point would make wireless connection and analysis of problem easier. No wifi apparently no analysis.
Ermm…how else could they do it? The only other option would be to include a GSM data connection with SIM at significant extra cost. If you need a wifi connection but it can't see your house wifi, you can set up a phone as a temporary hotspot.

·
Registered
VW ID.4 1st
4 Posts
You can also extend the Pod Point warranty for a further 2 years for £100. I did that recently for mine after it failed. The engineer fitted new PCBs etc so I effectively got a new unit in the old housing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ermm…how else could they do it? The only other option would be to include a GSM data connection with SIM at significant extra cost. If you need a wifi connection but it can't see your house wifi, you can set up a phone as a temporary hotspot.
Thanks son did that for me or shall i say tried. It is their internal wifi with the page produced by the wifi which does not show available networks though ironically it does allow password to be entered. Hence even with hotspot as son did, we were unable to get a 'good' page to reply. No impressed.

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
I believe that, as supplied, they are set to act as an AP (Access Point), that serves a locally generated page to any device that connects using the AP credentials. To enable wider access the charge point AP needs to be able to work in client mode, and be set to negotiate a connection with the wifi network in the house, where it will get allocated an IP by your home router, and should then be accessible using internet connected services.

I don't have the Podpoint manual to hand, but the installer should have explained how to do this to you. Unless the charge point has been set up to connect to your own wifi network as a client, then there will be no way of remotely controlling it, control will only be via any device connected directly to its AP. It almost certainly has a WPS capability to make the exchange of security credentials with your home router fairly straightforward. I'm a bit surprised that your installer didn't set this up for you, TBH.

Edited to add:

Just found this from Podpoint, and it's as I thought, the installer should have set this up for you, so I'd get hold of them to sort it:

When your home charger is installed, your Pod Point Expert will link your charger to the app via your home Wi-Fi connection. As a second step, find your Solo Smart Charger’s PSL number (located on the sticker on the bottom of the charger) and enter this into the Pod Point App to connect.
Note: If you did not purchase your Solo Charger via Pod Point.com - you'll have to contact our customer service team in order to link your Solo with the Pod Point App.
This thread may also help: Connecting you Pod Point Charge to WiFi - Advantages?

as may the instructions from Podpoint: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/podpoint-website/Connecting-your-Pod-Point-Solo-to-Wifi.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for all that information. Most helpful. I ought to add that I was working when it was installed. I took the advice of my local Nissan Dealer. I drew up plans of where the electricity board was in the house and how access could be made. The guy came installed and left. It worked. I had no discussion with him at all. That was in July 2017 I was totally ignorant there was a wifi connection in the Pod Point until it went wrong recently. They sent me the link for wifi. I managed after 15 or so attempts to get their locally generated web page as per instructions and took a shot of it which I sent them .No wifi networks showed up only o ) and the login which allowed me to enter my wifi details... but not the network...so basically useful as I soon found that no wifi connection; no analysis of fault - no solution. The case has been accelerated so it remains to be seen whether they can or will help me resolve what is going wrong. One thing is certain is that I will be unwilling to pay nearly £1000 for a new one and my gripe with my local Nissan dealership is that they continue to recommend Pod Point without anywarnings whatsoever. I fully recognise that ignorance is no defense in law but I would have though there was a duty of care to help me resolve this. As I said my case has been accelerated but when and to what time scale I have no idea. Thank goodness I don't work now and am no really dependent on a charge to get me to work. But thank you again for the information you have supplied and I will be discuss it with my son and his friend an electrician who installs EV points...:) (PS I wonder if Pod Point technies read these threads !!! )

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
Sounds like your Podpoint may not be able to get a signal, and the installer didn't check this at the time. I had the same problem with my Tesla, when parked in my normal spot the car couldn't connect to our home wifi network. The fix was to install a repeater in a part of the house closer to the car, and that fixed the problem completely.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks son did that for me or shall i say tried. It is their internal wifi with the page produced by the wifi which does not show available networks though ironically it does allow password to be entered. Hence even with hotspot as son did, we were unable to get a 'good' page to reply. No impressed.
If the unit is out of range of your wifi, I think your expectation that it will work is a little unreasonable. Look at this document:

My interpretation of your reply is that you managed to connect to its internal temporary hotspot, and confirmed it's out of range of your home wifi. You need to take the steps in the document under "using a temporary mobile hotspot", ideally with two mobile devices as that's much easier — and be connected like that when the Pod Point staff are trying to diagnose it. There is still plenty you can do to try to progress this beyond posting your disgust about £1000 replacement in multiple posts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.