Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a car with a 6.6kW on-board charger, and roll up to a Pod-Point advertised as 22kW. Sure. I don't have three-phase charging so the best I can expect is 6.6kW.

Plug in cable to car, plug into Post, and charge starts. Confirm charge. All good. But is it? No, it's only doing 3.3kW (max 16A per phase) charging.

Disconnect everything, plug in in a different order.

Plug cable into post.
Plug cable into vehicle
Confirm charge

Charging at full rate.

I only ever get this issue with Pod-Point charge points. It seems to only read the cable resistance before it sees the pilot signal, so if you plug it in car-end first, then it doesn't see the resistor and limits the charge rate offered.

Technically, this is wrong, since if it is checking the cable resistance between PE and PP, and if it doesn't see any link, then it's below the minimum tolerance, and it shouldn't make such a decision on charge rates before it sees the vehicle's diode to confirm it's actually a vehicle on the end of the cable and not a damp puddle... and it should actually adjust such safety parameters during the charge as necessary.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
534 Posts
I thought it was always recommended to plug into post first, then car? Certainly with my Zoe 40kW doing it that way will always ramp up to 22kW if available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts