Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in discussions with the folks at Pod-Point about why sometimes when I plug into a 7kW public charge point of theirs (the newer T7-S design, with no screen / RFID reader ), that it only runs at half the expected rate.

It's apparently an issue they are aware of, and there's a workaround for it, so I thought I'd share it here for those of us with vehicles capable of AC charging at more than 16A:

Plug your cable into the Pod-Point before plugging into the car.​

This is the opposite way around to what I'm used to doing. It would be interesting to see if they manage to fix the software on the charge points so this doesn't happen in the first place, and the order shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've noticed the slow charge rate before seemingly at random, but what you say does make sense - sometimes I connect the car first, sometimes the post first, it just depends which way the cable came out of the boot. Good to know there's a workaround - thanks for posting!

·
Registered
171 Posts
We had our Pod Point installed last week, last night our 30KWh Leaf it was plugged in at 6pm with 52% in the battery. This morning at 6am, it was only up to 89%. This is clearly not right as it would have hit 100% on a 3-pin plug in about half that time. I'm going to do some experiments with it to check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue with a tethered 7KW Pod-Point, I'm getting about 1.2KW output.
I will need to revert to the 13 amp plug until it's fixed.
Is there any way to see what the actual output going into the charger is?
Leaf 6.6.

Alan.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We had our Pod Point installed last week, last night our 30KWh Leaf it was plugged in at 6pm with 52% in the battery. This morning at 6am, it was only up to 89%. This is clearly not right as it would have hit 100% on a 3-pin plug in about half that time. I'm going to do some experiments with it to check.
Perhaps the PodPoint installer left the internal dip switches set to 6A charging? It seems that the 16A chargers come like this out of the box as ours was left in this state too. (The other 32A charger was left set correctly). With a 10 hour prediction to charge our Outlander, I quickly realised their mistake...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Alan - I have a home energy monitor so it's easy to see how much power the LEAF is taking when plugged in. I've spoken to Pod Point and they have said it is the setting that is wrong, so are sending someone out to change it. Worth checking people after you've had it installed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts