Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the eGolf to the local Sainsbury’s just to try out a Pod-Point type 2 charger earlier. Wasn’t quite sure if I needed the app or not, a guy in a Zoe told me the post I was at didn’t work and to use his once he moved which I did. The green light on the post stayed illuminated as I plugged in and we received a charge. I downloaded the app and registered etc, found the charging post I was hooked up to but the app said it was in use and I couldn’t start a charge which I was already receiving. Anyway whilst shopping I refreshed the app and started the charge. The post states that the charge will stop after 15mins if you don’t start the charge on the app, but whist shopping the app allowed me to start the charge at will which made me suspicious of it actually working of if I indeed needed to use it?

can anyone confirm?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I don't have the app and at our Tesco when I've plugged in (rarely) it starts the charge but always stops before I get back. From the kWh received it looked about the 15 mins each time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve always had to confirm charge within 15mins on those posts. The two others post haven’t worked since late November and have been reported but no fix yet.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
You always get 15 min to select charging name in app and confirm charge and as long as I have used it continues until full, also keeps it locked on ⚡

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
There's always a dpd van plugged into our local one (and the same LEAF on the other one), so not had a chance to try it (not that it is of any real practical use to me anyway). At least someone is benefiting from it and they can deliver all of their parcels on free juice.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,940 Posts
There's always a dpd van plugged into our local one (and the same LEAF on the other one), so not had a chance to try it (not that it is of any real practical use to me anyway). At least someone is benefiting from it and they can deliver all of their parcels on free juice.
That needs to be reported to Tesco. There have been a few people telling Tesco this is happening (quite a few Tesco staff have cottoned on to the free driving. We have one at my local). Tesco weren't aware that this is happening. The more people who tell them they may do something about it.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
That needs to be reported to Tesco. There have been a few people telling Tesco this is happening (quite a few Tesco staff have cottoned on to the free driving. We have one at my local). Tesco weren't aware that this is happening. The more people who tell them they may do something about it.
I didn't really see it as an issue. These chargers are not really part of the crucial national charging infrastructure. I just thought that they were using the service that has been provided.

I could understand someone wanting to lodge a complaint if the units were being regularly ICE'd.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I tend to see quite a few DPD ENV vans doing the same.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If I plug in it shows the car is charging, the app will tell you it is in use, but hopefully it is you that are the one who is using it, I then just click connect.

Once recurring issue with the Pod Point app, is if you don't use it for a few days, you have to login again, I always forget the password and have to create a new one, arrgh. As I charge mostly at home I don't check the app as much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The app might not have fully updated that the other person had left if you have plugged in immediately after he went and by the time you were in store, it had updated and you were then able to confirm the charge.

Reactions: Creationblue

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the fact I hopped on straight after someone else threw the app and I was only their around 20mins so didn’t really know if the app registered the charge or not. It’s all experience though for next time. Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
137 Posts
No-one should be able to spend more than the two-hour maximum parking duration on a Tesco Pod-Point. I haven't used our local one for over a year because of shielding, but it was often ICEed before.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any free charging machines that have been installed at supermarkets or large superstore car parks for benefit of customers should be limited to the limitations of the car park (ie two hour maximum stay etc) - either by way of an auto shut off, or by having excess charging in place for over staying. This will stop the free-loaders that park in the car park, walk home and leave their car there overnight.

Not all car parks that state "two hour maximums" etc are controlled so people get to know those and get away with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quite so Bhuna50. The local Tesco here has ANPR cameras fitted but I have no idea whether they are monitored.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quite so Bhuna50. The local Tesco here has ANPR cameras fitted but I have no idea whether they are monitored.
They probably are but staff would give in their number plates and be excluded from the monitoring scheme.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Design 2.4
83 Posts
Our local Tesco always has a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugged in all day, it is one of Tesco staff, the green light most of the time is flashing. Mind blowing

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have two council supplied pod point public charging stations near by, I've only had cause to use them a few times, but every day I drive past them and the same blue and red cars are parked in them - waste of time having them when they seem to be a private car parking space for someone local.

Both are EVs, the one time I actually bothered to drive into the car park and look, neither of them were plugged in.

I would hate to have to rely on them if I didn't have off street parking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts