Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Design 2.4
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the new Mitsubishi Outland 2.4 PHEV with the larger battery, a full charge takes 10kW. We went for the 7kW PodPoint home EV charger despite the Outlander only being capable of a 3.6kW charging rate.

We are Octopus Go off peak 0.30am - 04.30am we set the Outlanders on board time to charge at these times assumed the PHEV would charge very quickly at 3.6kW, when we look at our Octopus charge it shows the first 30 minutes @ 1.19kW, the next 30 minute intervals varies between 1.77 -1.79kW, then the next 30 [email protected] 1.41kW the slowly down to 0.79kW etc.

I am new to all this and a bit confused, if I set my charge time for a shorter period wound it charge nearer the 3.6kW rate?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The charge rate isn't constant. General rule is that as the battery gets closer to full, the charge rate slows down substantially (although it can also be slow if the battery is very close to empty). Charging is usually fastest in the middle part of the battery's capacity range. Look up CC-CV charging if you're really interested in the details. Temperature of the battery also affects charge rate - if it is cold, it'll charge slower.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Design 2.4
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a Numpty 1.79kW are consumption rate @30minutes = 3.58kW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts