Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to use my home PodPoint charger with timed charging on the car (Corsa-e). The car bit works well. I plug into the car and activate the deferred charging, usually to start charge from 4am and the light turns blue indicating that the deferred time charge is set up. The charging starts at the pre-set time and continues until I either physically disconnect the charger or I interrupt the charge via the cars app.

The problem lies with the PodPoint app. In the stats, it registers the charge as having started from the time I plugged it in to the car, not from when the actual charging started. Eg, I plugged in at 4pm with the charge scheduled to start at 4am. I checked around midnight via the car app that the charge was still scheduled which was OK. I disconnected at 8:15am and the car had charged nicely to 95% as I had planned which was just over 4 hours charging. So it has worked on schedule.

The PodPoint app stats however show that the car was plugged in AND charging for 16h 15m and assumed the cost/kWh as set up in the app. So the app is showing the wrong stats and electricity usage.

Has anyone else noticed this? First world problem but a nuisance as the ability to see how much I'm spending on electricity for car charging would be useful.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kwh
37 Posts
The duration shows the whole time its been plugged in. But ours correctly calculates the costs with off peak charging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, same here. It will only give the cost for the amount of kWh taken - whether it's plugged in for 3 hours or 3 days. I can't get the correct cost as I'm on Octopus Agile but I know the kWh data is correctly logged.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7.4kW
63 Posts
I thought you’d could setup in the app different timings for your electricity costs to get the correct cost? So your flat rate and then time when it’s cheaper.

I haven’t currently switched yet so can’t confirm it works but it’s definitely in the app.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you’d could setup in the app different timings for your electricity costs to get the correct cost? So your flat rate and then time when it’s cheaper.
You can only set up one schedule in the app for charging. You can set up multiple schedules for climate control.

There's a lot of room for improvement in the app.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
52 Posts
I've started to use my home PodPoint charger with timed charging on the car (Corsa-e). The car bit works well. I plug into the car and activate the deferred charging, usually to start charge from 4am and the light turns blue indicating that the deferred time charge is set up. The charging starts at the pre-set time and continues until I either physically disconnect the charger or I interrupt the charge via the cars app.

The problem lies with the PodPoint app. In the stats, it registers the charge as having started from the time I plugged it in to the car, not from when the actual charging started. Eg, I plugged in at 4pm with the charge scheduled to start at 4am. I checked around midnight via the car app that the charge was still scheduled which was OK. I disconnected at 8:15am and the car had charged nicely to 95% as I had planned which was just over 4 hours charging. So it has worked on schedule.

The PodPoint app stats however show that the car was plugged in AND charging for 16h 15m and assumed the cost/kWh as set up in the app. So the app is showing the wrong stats and electricity usage.

Has anyone else noticed this? First world problem but a nuisance as the ability to see how much I'm spending on electricity for car charging would be useful.
I have the same issue. I have a Volt which has been charged two times from empty and once from half empty this week on Octopus Go 5p/kwh (plus two daytime preheats). it tells me i've filled up with 50.1kwh at a cost of £4.78, which cannot be right? It correctly logs public charging sessions when out and about. When the Podpoint was installed back in February it would log charging sessions when the car wasn't even plugged in. That stopped when they sent an engineer to reinstall the unit (after it started tripping each time the car was plugged in).

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can only set up one schedule in the app for charging. You can set up multiple schedules for climate control.

There's a lot of room for improvement in the app.
No, I meant on the Pod-Point app you can setup different energy prices for different times.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have v3.6.4 of the PodPoint app on iOS and it only gives me the option to update the tariff. I can’t find anywhere to add more than one tariff to the app.
Hmm in mine which is on iOS and actually only v3.6.3 in the tariff you can tick economy 7 and then change the hours for the night tariff and cost.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm in mine which is on iOS and actually only v3.6.3 in the tariff you can tick economy 7 and then change the hours for the night tariff and cost.
Ah, OK. I hadn't considered the Economy 7 option in there. I do have that and can see that you have the option of 2 different tariffs and times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ah, OK. I hadn't considered the Economy 7 option in there. I do have that and can see that you have the option of 2 different tariffs and times.
My Hyundai Ioniq Electric schedules a timed charge schedule. This is set before plugging the Pod Point to the car at which time the Pod Point device will flash green indicating it is connected, but not charging until the scheduled time. The vehicle also displays an indication that it is connected to the charger but is not actually being charged at the moment. A blue light flashes in the centre screen to indicate this state.

I am somewhat surprised to learn that you apparently are unable to schedule an end time to your charging schedule (!!!) and have to do it manually or let it go to completion and shut off at 100% automatically...

·
Registered
Kona64
1,535 Posts
If I charge on a Sunday night, and the charge period goes over midnight , the app only shows time used / cost for the Sunday evening period, and shows nothing for Monday.

Seems if the charge is not started during Monday, but was already going on, it does not realise.

Thus if I drink from 9pm Sunday through to 2:38 Monday am, the 2hrs 38 are not logged / show in costs.
Which is mucking up my ' how much did I spend this week re charging the car "
So I am going to try charging it to 80% Sat night, and then to on 100% Sunday eve.

Just me being a sad git by wanting to start off Monday morning with 100% battery.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
52 Posts
I’ve chased PodPoint again about this and they admit the charger is not logging charging data correctly, but now say it appears to have a poor WiFi connection to the router, and occasionally drops the link. They are blaming this for my problems. The Pod-Point is actually only 3-4m from the router, with a clear line of sight through the lounge window. When I stand beside the charger with my phone, the handset has a full WiFi signal. I’m not convinced by their explanation.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ Electric 2020
18 Posts
I also have a PodPoint and also think the way it logs charge time is frustrating and makes no sense. It always calculates charge cost correctly but will say charge period was 13+ hours instead of the time it was actually delivering a charge.

It seems to me the PodPoint software is still in its infancy. There’s still no charge scheduling in the app.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts