Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm looking at podpoints in central london for a visit I want to make tomorrow and it's stating 17p/kwh for charging. I had a few queries:

1) If I do end up parking for an hour and using the full 7kwh capacity, that'd be only £1.19?! Surely that can't be right for a dedicated central london parking spot? Looking at google streetmap for the charger (below) the signage suggests there's no additional parking fees?

2) Out of curiousity, what happens if you drop the charge rate of your car?? i.e. with my car I can chose 30 amps (7.2kwh) when parked up against this 7kwh charger, but I could just as well drop to 5 amp (1.2kwh) which means parking would be 20p/hour?? i.e. there could be jerks out there parking for the full allowed 4 hours and pay only 80p to park in that slot, hogging up the slot?

Any other look outs? New to EV world, and would be my first trip into central london in a non ICE car where I'm used to paying £5/hour in a regular slot and getting no perks from that.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Bear in mind that in Westminster you can park an EV for max hours (typically 4) and you only pay for 10 mins, so no reason to hog a charger just for low cost parking.
We have used a similar Polar charging point with Zoe a while ago. We arrived at 4PM so there was no 4 hour limit, did some shopping, had dinner and went to a show. Got a decent charge at not expensive on Polar Plus 👍

If we go for day we park at Westfield London (White City) use the charging at John Lewis car park and get tube or bus. It has got more expensive at weekend, but only £7 for max 14 hours in week with Smart Parking.

Also, don't forget the Congestion Charge. EVs are NOT automatically exempt, you have to register and pay £10 to get the CVD (Cleaner Vehicle Discount).

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,380 Posts
At Westminster, with an EV, you can park for maximum allowed duration just by paying for 10min in the app.

So the charging spots being free to park but pay to charge is not surprising really. Your thinking is right, you can drop charge rate of the car and park cheaply, but why bother when you can do it at any spots in Westminster?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bear in mind that in Westminster you can park an EV for max hours (typically 4) and you only pay for 10 mins, so no reason to hog a charger just for low cost parking.
We have used a similar Polar charging point with Zoe a while ago. We arrived at 4PM so there was no 4 hour limit, did some shopping, had dinner and went to a show. Got a decent charge at not expensive on Polar Plus 👍

If we go for day we park at Westfield London (White City) use the charging at John Lewis car park and get tube or bus. It has got more expensive at weekend, but only £7 for max 14 hours in week with Smart Parking.

Also, don't forget the Congestion Charge. EVs are NOT automatically exempt, you have to register and pay £10 to get the CVD (Cleaner Vehicle Discount).
not sure what you mean by the 'only pay for 10 mins'? Is that in 'regular' parking spots?

·
Registered
517 Posts
not sure what you mean by the 'only pay for 10 mins'? Is that in 'regular' parking spots?
Any "pay by phone" slot - yes. You pay for the minimum time, which is 10mins and can park for the maximum time (which is usually 4 hours).

I do this 2-3 times a week and have done that frequency over the last 2 months. I just move the car to the next parking code area (i.e. the next street) every 4 hours between the enforced hours (8:30-18:30)...

Reactions: E7EV and chamsters

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm looking at podpoints in central london for a visit I want to make tomorrow and it's stating 17p/kwh for charging. I had a few queries:

1) If I do end up parking for an hour and using the full 7kwh capacity, that'd be only £1.19?! Surely that can't be right for a dedicated central london parking spot? Looking at google streetmap for the charger (below) the signage suggests there's no additional parking fees?

View attachment 135141

2) Out of curiousity, what happens if you drop the charge rate of your car?? i.e. with my car I can chose 30 amps (7.2kwh) when parked up against this 7kwh charger, but I could just as well drop to 5 amp (1.2kwh) which means parking would be 20p/hour?? i.e. there could be jerks out there parking for the full allowed 4 hours and pay only 80p to park in that slot, hogging up the slot?

Any other look outs? New to EV world, and would be my first trip into central london in a non ICE car where I'm used to paying £5/hour in a regular slot and getting no perks from that.
Also consider Source London : just pay for charging and parking is included.

In Westminister, their "free" parking for EVs is the best though.

Reactions: E7EV and chamsters

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any "pay by phone" slot - yes. You pay for the minimum time, which is 10mins and can park for the maximum time (which is usually 4 hours).

I do this 2-3 times a week and have done that frequency over the last 2 months. I just move the car to the next parking code area (i.e. the next street) every 4 hours between the enforced hours (8:30-18:30)...
Haha - that's amazing!

Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I do this 2-3 times a week and have done that frequency over the last 2 months. I just move the car to the next parking code area (i.e. the next street) every 4 hours...

Also consider Source London : just pay for charging and parking is included.

In Westminister, their "free" parking for EVs is the best though.
Source seems a lot pricier - using their flexi option which works out to 7.3p/minute, that'd be £4.38/hour.

Ultimately it looks like the 'best' options are:
  • standard paid for bays - 4 hours for 80p or so total
  • podpoint 20p - £1.19/hour (depending on charging speed).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Source seems a lot pricier - using their flexi option which works out to 7.3p/minute, that'd be £4.38/hour.

For Westminister - agreed.

For other areas, Source London is really useful especially if parking places are all taken up but their EVs bays are wide open.

Reactions: chamsters

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
For Westminister - agreed.

For other areas, Source London is really useful especially if parking places are all taken up but their EVs bays are wide open.
Yes I agree, we used a SL one when meeting friends for afternoon tea (a year or so ago) and was cost comparable with a nearby car park and we got some electrons.

Reactions: chamsters and ohit1

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
108 Posts

Agreed - I live in Westminster and avoid using Source London. There are plenty of free Pod point 7kw chargers at supermarkets which usually come with 2 hours free parking

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
108 Posts
Hi folks,

View attachment 135141

Have you got Polar plus membership ? - 4 hours parking on most street chargers for 12p per kw.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you got Polar plus membership ? - 4 hours parking on most street chargers for 12p per kw.
Nope... doesn't seem worth it to me. I can charge up at home for a fraction of that cost, and don't really drive into town. For longer trips I'd rely on tesla superchargers / destination charging which would work out cheaper given the frequency of these trips (and faster - 250kw vs. 40-50 on polar).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts