Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the onboard Leaf's charging timer but seems like Podpoint's home charger app now allows you to set scheduled charging. You can set up to one scheduled start and stop time per day. Fairly basic but does the job and seems to work well.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
671 Posts
Since most EV's have scheduled charging which is better to carry out the operation the car or the wall charger, would it get confused if both were set. say for example the car's clock said OK start charging but the wall unit clock was a bit later, would the car see that there was no supply and cancel the whole operation, then when the wall unit fired up wouldn't see anything asking for a charge.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Since most EV's have scheduled charging which is better to carry out the operation the car or the wall charger, would it get confused if both were set. say for example the car's clock said OK start charging but the wall unit clock was a bit later, would the car see that there was no supply and cancel the whole operation, then when the wall unit fired up wouldn't see anything asking for a charge.
I wouldn't set both timers, for the reason you mention.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,188 Posts
It can get confusing. If you've got a PodPoint schedule set, it won't supply power until the schedule is active. If you've set your car schedule to charge during a period of the PodPoint outside of its active schedule, your car won't charge.

Likewise, if your PodPoint schedule is set to charge whilst the schedule of the car is active but outside of its set time, nothing will happen as the car will not charge even though the PodPoint is now on its schedule.

The easiest way to think about the PodPoint schedule is as an ON/OFF switch at the breaker. It's as simple as that. If the PodPoint is outside its schedule, it will not supply power.

One note of caution though, if the PodPoint loses WiFi access, it reverts to being semi-dumb and will supply power.

On the PSA Group EVs, the car's timer only lets your schedule a start time with no end time, which is a flaw in the developers thinking and I would hope can be rectified through software updates, but I won't be holding my breath for that one. I've had some situations where I set a schedule on the PodPoint so as to top the car up to around 90% but for some reason, after the scheduled charge started, it failed to stop charging and topped up to 100%. After querying this, PodPoint showed me that the PodPoint had, for some reason, dropped the WiFi connection and so ignored the schedule and was back to being just a semi-dumb charger.

Overall, it's a big improvement for PodPoint as long as your WiFi connection is reliable. I have since split my garage WiFi extender signal into two distinct SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals and made sure that the PodPoint only tries to connect to the 2.4GHz signal with a fallback to connect to the weaker home 2.4GHz signal. So far, no more schedule failures.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't use both podpoint and car timers at the same time. I've only just started to use the podpoint timer so I'll see how I go. The benefit with using the podpoint timer is that if I need to adjust the timer schedule then I can do it from the comfort of my own home.

Thanks for the heads up about the podpoint charger reverting to being a dumb charger if it drops off the wifi. I'll have to monitor the reliability of it.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
as I understand it, the schedule is not held locally on the unit itself but on the remote servers, as such it‘s reliability will also be dependant on the internet connection as well as the WiFi.

Having the PodPoint deal with the timers would be my preferred way, if I can get it to work properly with my ID.3

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yes it requires WiFi it's setup via the app via the pod point servers. Just get BT Mesh discs. I have three and have full bars everywhere in the house. The guy who installed our Pod Point said it had full bars where it's installed as well.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it requires WiFi it's setup via the app via the pod point servers. Just get BT Mesh discs. I have three and have full bars everywhere in the house. The guy who installed our Pod Point said it had full bars where it's installed as well.
The WiFi router/access points are not the only point of failure of the podpoint internet connection. E.g. could be the ISP

·
Registered
713 Posts
You can tell if it's on schedule and working as the pod point light goes to green.

Normal light is blue / intermittent flash of purple = communicating with Pod point servers.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
You can tell if it's on schedule and working as the pod point light goes to green.

Normal light is blue / intermittent flash of purple = communicating with Pod point servers.
yes but the point was you may connect and walk away happy in the knowledge that the LED is indeed green, however, should the WiFi/internet fail it’ll revert back to ON. No great issue other than it may cost you more than you were expecting if you were delaying until a cheaper rate kicks in.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes but the point was you may connect and walk away happy in the knowledge that the LED is indeed green, however, should the WiFi/internet fail it’ll revert back to ON. No great issue other than it may cost you more than you were expecting if you were delaying until a cheaper rate kicks in.
Yep, exactly. And each to their own whether this is acceptable or not. For me personally, I'm gonna see how reliable it is and will switch back to the car's timer if it isn't reliable enough.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Yep, exactly. And each to their own whether this is acceptable or not. For me personally, I'm gonna see how reliable it is and will switch back to the car's timer if it isn't reliable enough.
I‘m still trying to get it to work anyway. I can set the schedule well enough but the car, ID.3, and the podpoint are refusing to play nicely unless the PodPoint is live.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another benefit I've just realised is with the remote start heating for the Leaf.

With the Leaf's onboard timer, if the car is plugged in and you remotely start the heating then it will also start pulling power from the grid (even if it is outside the configured charging timing window). This is not ideal if I've carefully set the charging to happen between the Octopus Go cheap rate from 12.30am to 4.30am. To ensure I am super economical, I'd want the remote heating to be powered off the battery without pulling from the grid. The way I get around this is that I first have to unplug the car before then starting the remote heating.

However, with the podpoint scheduled timer, because it has cut off power to the charger. It essentially means the Leaf's remote heating can start without pulling from the grid even if it is still plugged in.

Happy days!

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Another benefit I've just realised is with the remote start heating for the Leaf.

With the Leaf's onboard timer, if the car is plugged in and you remotely start the heating then it will also start pulling power from the grid (even if it is outside the configured charging timing window). This is not ideal if I've carefully set the charging to happen between the Octopus Go cheap rate from 12.30am to 4.30am. To ensure I am super economical, I'd want the remote heating to be powered off the battery without pulling from the grid. The way I get around this is that I first have to unplug the car before then starting the remote heating.

However, with the podpoint scheduled timer, because it has cut off power to the charger. It essentially means the Leaf's remote heating can start without pulling from the grid even if it is still plugged in.

Happy days!
Funnily enough that's one of the main reasons I like it also.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It does seem flaky. The delayed start works but my last two charges it turned on but not off and charged to 100%.

It has worked previously. I think the issue is with their servers it's not a WiFi or ISP issue.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
My test last night was successful. Connected the car up and ignored the red fail LED that the ID3 throws up, presumable because the PodPoint is effectively dead. The PodPoint is scheduled to be live from 00:30-04:30 every day and sure enough it became live shortly after 00:30 and charged full beans at 7.2kWh. The upper SoC limit is set to 80% on the car and as I was simply testing it only needed 6.8kWh to get there. Once it hit 80% the car stopped charging, although the PodPoint stayed active until 04:30 as scheduled.

And as @technoev mentioned, with the PodPoint inactive I was able to condition the car using stored cheap rate juice rather than draw from the grid as the range isn't a factor today.

It's certainly a much simpler way to do it that using the car's timers that seem to seem to play a game of chance when picking a charging rate and seems to make up a time to reach the set SoC limit

1 - 20 of 27 Posts