Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Podpoint home charger with wifi but no timed charge function in app - yet? Has anyone experience of installing a wifi switch - say a Shelly1 - on the pilot wire and controlling charging times using the Shelly or similar app? Will it work? I want to take advantage of the cheap night rate electricity on the tariff I’m on. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yeah. See here:
Martin, if you follow Ian Sampson on Youtube, you will see he says he has never been able to work the zoe charge timer.

You could do what I have done for my Fluence:

I have cannibalised an Economy 7 hot water timer made by Pactrol. (These are no longer made, but appear on Ebay occasionally.) This has two relays that switch the top or lower immersion on. I have connected both transistors to the same relay. The relay has change over contacts. The un-energised position has the charger control wire connected to the EV via a diode, and a 10uF capacitor from the diode cathode to earth.

This allows the EV to reduce the 12v from the charger to 9v. The charger then starts a 1kHz squarewave between +9 and -12V to signal to the car that it is ready to charge. The diode & capacitor rectify the 1khz, so the car does not receive the squarewave until the relay engages. The relay shorts out the diode, and disconnects the capacitor.

This allows the charger to 'see' the car when you connect it, so you know the plug is in properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I think that’s different to my suggestion. This is a video on installation in a Rolec. i’m interested if this is straightforward to complete in a PoDPoint wall charger.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Podpoint home charger with wifi but no timed charge function in app - yet? Has anyone experience of installing a wifi switch - say a Shelly1 - on the pilot wire and controlling charging times using the Shelly or similar app? Will it work? I want to take advantage of the cheap night rate electricity on the tariff I’m on. Thanks!
Long thread here which is informative timed pod point fix

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kwh
65 Posts
If you read PodPoint's replies on Google play to their app reviews they are now saying charge scheduling is coming early this year and I've noticed some references in the API.

So if your unit is still in warranty it may be worth waiting :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read PodPoint's replies on Google play to their app reviews they are now saying charge scheduling is coming early this year and I've noticed some references in the API.

So if your unit is still in warranty it may be worth waiting :)
Thank you. I’ve signed up for their Beta testing programme. My concern is we’ve been here before and they delivered nothing - it does sound promising this time though, especially if you’ve noticed preparatory changes to the API. I think I’ll give it a little while.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Thank you. I’ve signed up for their Beta testing programme. My concern is we’ve been here before and they delivered nothing - it does sound promising this time though, especially if you’ve noticed preparatory changes to the API. I think I’ll give it a little while.
I agree with @AdamLC but would agree that PodPoint have promised this for over three years to my direct knowledge and have yet to deliver anything to their Beta testers AFAIK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is starting to affect users choice of home charger - most want added functionality to choose the most economical tariff and time their charge - although many EV’s have some of this - some still don’t. There are also partnerships forming with companies like Ohme and Octopus providing offers. Since EDF acquired podpoint 12 Months ago not much seems to have happened.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is starting to affect users choice of home charger - most want added functionality to choose the most economical tariff and time their charge - although many EV’s have some of this - some still don’t. There are also partnerships forming with companies like Ohme and Octopus providing offers. Since EDF acquired podpoint 12 Months ago not much seems to have happened.
absolutely, I came very close to ordering a Podpoint, ultimately the lack of basic scheduling meant I went a different route.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a podpoint, mainly because we are with British Gas and have solar panels so I didn't think I'd be using timed charging etc. Such poor lack of vision! I received today an email from podpoint stating that it's only just come to their attention that I still have a 40a meter - this is after the photos were sent pre installation and it has been in situ for nearly a month. I'd rather not have to change it, although I appreciate for safety I probably should and if I do I'm likely to go with Octopus Go tariff and will want the timed charging option that neither my MG 5 or podpoint have. Really wish I'd gone with the Ohme. Anyone swapped charging points?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts