Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Check your charge current settings in the car - sounds like you’re on the middle setting. Maximum will give 6.6kw and minimum will give 4kw.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Expect a few % - maybe as much as 15%? loss between what comes out of your domestic grid meter, and what's available from you rHV battery to drive with.

E.g. Ampera takes 12 kWh from the grid, to give me 10.4 kWh I can drive with.
All down to inefficiencies accumulating along the way; heat lost in wiring from Consumer Unit, rectifying & transforming mains AC to around 400+ Volts DC, heating in the wiring in car, heating thx to resistance inside the battery, chemical inefficiencies (I guess heats the battery?).

If the car's reporting what you'll be able to take out of the battery when driving (nice if so!), there's also the inefficience to add-in, when the chemistry pumps those electrons, so again there's more heat lost inside battery. It all adds up!

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Expect a few % - maybe as much as 15%? loss between what comes out of your domestic grid meter, and what's available from you rHV battery to drive with.

E.g. Ampera takes 12 kWh from the grid, to give me 10.4 kWh I can drive with.
All down to inefficiencies accumulating along the way; heat lost in wiring from Consumer Unit, rectifying & transforming mains AC to around 400+ Volts DC, heating in the wiring in car, heating thx to resistance inside the battery, chemical inefficiencies (I guess heats the battery?).

If the car's reporting what you'll be able to take out of the battery when driving (nice if so!), there's also the inefficience to add-in, when the chemistry pumps those electrons, so again there's more heat lost inside battery. It all adds up!
It doesn’t report usable kWh, but it does report charging speed in kW while charging.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
How old is your PodPoint? Does it have aCT clamp to limit consumption and have you ever achieved a higher charge rate?

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
I had similar problems with my pod point solo. First check your cars pulls 7 or so from a public like a Tesco, Sainsburys or someone else’s home charge point. If not a tethered unit, check the cable that it is 32amp . Finally ask pod point to check your unit is uncapped post registration, and that it has been sent the latest sw download.

The later caused mine to finally give 7.2 vs the 6.6 I was getting for weeks post install no matter what.

Reactions: Beerlugger

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Also make sure the dip switch settings Inside the pod point unit are set for 7kw - the installer should have done this but the paperwork mine left me allowed me to double check.

Reactions: Beerlugger
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.