Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 10 weeks of waiting (and many charges through the lounge window via an extension lead (protected), today my PodPoint has finally been installed. No real issues with the wait, I understand they were struggling to find an installer, some guys from Nottingham came down (to Oxfordshire) today and did a fantastic job of the installation. Straight into the meter box so no unsightly cables running from the fuse box and ran the cable at low level discreetly hidden just above the flower bed around the house.

I went for an untethered 32a unit which should do the job for the foreseeable, but the unit is a [email protected] grey colour rather than the white and black on the website which I'm a bit annoyed about as it does look a bit cheapo but not so much it's too unattractive.

Slightly (Ok, very) worrying were some of the tales they told me during the install. Before OLEV changed the requirements for a free install from not needing a plug in car to now needing to prove ownership / order, they said that they had done loads of installs on households that had no intention of ever owning a plug in car! Infact many of them were so far away from the driveway / street etc that even if they did the cable would have to stretch 10's of meters to do so (I asked whether they were tethered units and they said that the majority were).

I wonder how much money has been wasted by OLEV on such installs prior to the rule change and am shocked that such wastage seems to have occurred. I read this week about the praise that Chargemaster have got in Tech 100 etc etc and have to wonder how much of this is / was due to such 'phoney' installs in the first round of funding. (both guys said that they used to fit CM units before moving to PodPoint)

I'm left almost feeling guilty that I've benefited from a tax payer freeby; particularly when I asked how much the whole install would have been had I paid out of my own pocket (circa £1200 all in!!!) and can't be too righteous as I bought a cheap 2nd hand CM unit off ebay to use at work so have indirectly also benefited / exploited from the earlier funding, but at least I do actually drive an electric car!

·
Registered
302 Posts
This was certainly something that many companies did, but not all. If they have installed units where it is near impossible to get a car to connect, that can be reclaimed by OLEV.

I am assuming I know the company you are referring to, and if I am correct, they were one of the companies that aggressively marketed their area to generate as many installs as possible that fitted within the (relaxed) rules of the grant, rather than those that were within the spirit of the grant.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be fair, they did say that they weren't working for their current company when all this was going on. Unfortunately it seems that the more relaxed rules have been abused quite considerably in the past; which is a shame as I'm sure the money could have been put to better use. I got to use the type 2 to type 1 cable I got from yourself for the first time today and it's a really neat, quality piece of kit. It's funny, they were just leaving when I plugged it in and they came rushing back up the driveway to have a look as neither of them had actually seen a car charging from one of their installs! They were impressed with the Leaf and were seriously considering getting one for themselves which is very positive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts