Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I’m having issues getting a home charger installed. No companies I’ve contacted have had the decency to return my emails. On the PodPoint site, it appears that you have to order and pay in full, but there’s nothing in writing saying when installation would be. Next week? Next month? Next year? I don’t want to part with money without at least an estimate. Does anyone know how long it would usually take? If not, I guess I’ll persist in trying to get a local electrician to do the job.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ok, so I’m having issues getting a home charger installed. No companies I’ve contacted have had the decency to return my emails. On the PodPoint site, it appears that you have to order and pay in full, but there’s nothing in writing saying when installation would be. Next week? Next month? Next year? I don’t want to part with money without at least an estimate. Does anyone know how long it would usually take? If not, I guess I’ll persist in trying to get a local electrician to do the job.
In my own case, the order and installtion was carried out last year, with dates as follows:

Initiated order 17/11/2019
Notified by Podpoint that OLEV application by Podpoint was complete 18/11/2019
Notified by Podpoint of a suggested installation date 20/11/2019,
Installation on agreed date carried out by their chosen local contractor 10/12/2019

I was entirely happy with the process and installation.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,158 Posts
You may find it cheaper if you know a good, reasonably priced electrician to buy a basic, non-smart charger from the likes of Rolec and have them fit that anyways.

Pod Point are generally reasonably fast to install but it does depend on your area and also the whole COVID thing that's going on. You really need to speak to them directly if you want a good idea of how long you may be waiting.

I last dealt with them at the start of August for a business install. They did the install also in August (though right at the end of the month)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I think it will entirely depend on where you are located. Big cities with lots of electrical contractors may see a shorter wait than someone living out in the country.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like you, I had a similar experience regards non-response to calls/e-mails. In the event, I trusted a 'recommendation' and went with Pod Point (paying up front). As 80698 says, do speak to them personally. My install (done successfully!) was accomplished within a month (Aug/Sept 2020.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
@PedalPowerPanther I don't know what part of the UK are you in but if you are in Scotland there is a map with local EV installers. I would like to believe that you can find the same for the rest of the UK.
This is the Scottish one:

Well....actually I stand corrected. If you make a choice on the map for ALL parts of Scotland it showing you the whole of the UK 😆

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a PodPoint home charger installed two weeks ago. Overall I was very happy with the process.

Paid upfront and within a few days received the OLEV documents. This was the worst part as took three weeks to get them approved. They’d ask for a small detail which I would send over then a week went by and they’d come back asking for another small detail. Again, I’d provide and another week until I heard back.

I phoned up and they said the sales team were overwhelmed due to high orders and reduced staff due to COVID. They were incredibly friendly though.

However, once approved the installation was very quick. I was told my area had a long lead time which was 10days! I saw that as quick so was happy with this.

Install took a few hours and they were very friendly and did a great job. Unit looks smart and works perfectly.

App is good but doesn’t have a remote start/stop charge feature although not needed for me as my e-Niro has this feature anyway. The PodPoint app has a few flaws with logging charges but generally ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, paid today for Pod Point charger as I understand they have a stop start charge feature are you saying it doesn't work, regards Lafree.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, paid today for Pod Point charger as I understand they have a stop start charge feature are you saying it doesn't work, regards Lafree.
Home PodPoint chargers don’t allow you to start/stop a charge remotely or set a scheduled charging time. You plug in to charge and unplug to stop charge. That’s about it. If your car has scheduled charging then that’s fine as the car can be set to only draw power when you want it to.

I think you can stop/start PodPoint charging remotely if it’s a public PodPoint charger but don’t quote me on that as not tried.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,158 Posts
I think you can stop/start PodPoint charging remotely if it’s a public PodPoint charger but don’t quote me on that as not tried
On a standard type 2 AC charge post it's very much the same as your home unit. Plug in to start. Unplug to stop. Only thing you use the app for is to claim your charge session within 15 minutes otherwise it will stop charging (this means that Pod Point can bill you for usage if applicable)

DC Rapid chargers from Pod Point do require you to specifically remotely start and stop using the app however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On a standard type 2 AC charge post it's very much the same as your home unit. Plug in to start. Unplug to stop. Only thing you use the app for is to claim your charge session within 15 minutes otherwise it will stop charging (this means that Pod Point can bill you for usage if applicable)

DC Rapid chargers from Pod Point do require you to specifically remotely start and stop using the app however.
Ah great, thanks for clarifying

·
Registered
25 Posts
Similar experience with pod-point to the other posters here: ordered on 24 September, a couple of weeks of back-and-forth on the OLEV paperwork, slightly complicated by the fact the my existing garage supply was wildly non-compliant to the wiring regs, and so I'd booked an electrician to come and do the necessary just before pod-point arrived.

Pod-point were fine with that and accepted my annotated photos and diagrams showing the work that would be carried out before they arrived. If you're running their cable in before they arrive (mine needed pavers lifting) let them know and they will post you the cables; be aware they also have a 2nd pilot cable that monitors total current on the main supply as a safety protection.

They offered 5 October for install, I put them back by a week to give my electrician time to do his stuff; they were fine with that.

My only gripe was that they had to cancel that date the night before, when the installer realised he'd been given an empty box(!) instead of my charger, but he rescheduled for the following day and installation went very smoothly. I wouldn't say their installation standard is the highest - they've overstrained the cable gland on the outgoing cable in the garage, but I let it go because its a simple job for me to fix (speaking of which I'd better stop typing and get on with it!)

Overall, I'd go with podpoint again, subject to keeping a closer eye on their installation, and would be happy to recommend them to others.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Signature Nav R90 ZE40 Diamond Black Metallic
276 Posts
We used the following company to install our 7kW Pod-Point last December, it was quite a long cable run from meter to charge point location. Very pleased with the standard of workmanship and no issues since installation.
EcoPlugg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts