Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a question to ask please about charging/podpoint/my Soul 30kWh.
Am currently still awaiting a 7kW home charger install after a house move (plugging in 3pin cable currently at home). I am having to rely on public chargers for electrons when out and about.

Went to Tesco just now and was plugged in at a podpoint free charger post alongside another Kia Soul. Plugged in, confirmed charge in the app as instructed, then went up to Tesco.
Am I reading it right that I was only charging at 3kW charge rate as shown from the PodPoint app screenshot below?

I thought the Kia Soul can pull to 7kW? The cable I used was the Kia one and it says 32A on it so I am assuming it can pull 7kW?
Does the podpoint posts 'share' the 7kW if another car is plugged in?
Please help educate me.
Many thanks
JT

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Hi all,

I have a question to ask please about chargeing/podpoint/my Soul 30kWh.
Am currently still pending 7kW home charger install after a house move (plugging in 3pin cable currentyl at home) and so am relying on public chargers for electrons when out and about.

Went to Tesco just now and was plugged into the podpoint free charger posts alongside another Kia Soul. Plugged in, confirmed charge in the app as instructed etc...
Am I reading it right that I was only charging at 3kW as shown from the PodPoint app screenshot below?
View attachment 141014
I thought the Kia Soul can go to 7kW? The cable I used was the Kia one and it says 32A on it so it can pull 7kW?
Does the podpoint posts 'share' the 7kW if another car is plugged in?
Please help educate me.
Many thanks
JT
Yes the 30kWh Soul EV will charge at a nominal 7kWs.

Yes, the Podpoint must have been limiting the charging rate ( loading sharing probably as you have guessed).

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
That is disappointingly low, I've not noticed any podpoints load sharing when I've used them in my area. Barely worth the effort of plugging into a 3kW supply. Unless you have to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is disappointingly low, I've not noticed any podpoints load sharing when I've used them in my area. Barely worth the effort of plugging into a 3kW supply. Unless you have to.
That's what I thought as I got in and drove off. I was looking at the SoC thinking "I've been here an hour, the numbers don't stack up?!"
It wasn't until I got home and checked the stats in the app I noticed the car only topped up 3kWh!!!
Now I am wondering if it's my car having issues pulling 7kW????
Maybe I need to test the car on another public 7kW charger....
Having only been in my first BEV for a month I am still learning about things. Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had the same 'issue' - almost certainly the charge point.

Got around 3kW at one Podpoint:

But 7kW at another one a few weeks earlier:

Definitely a case of 'getting what you pay for.' :)

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
Do the supermarkets have th3 ability to request podpoint throttle the power? Say even a daily draw of so many kw?

If so we may see this more going forward in free charger, a hook to get you to the supermarket, but really only giving you 15p of power.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
Interesting that both posters with slow charging have the Soul 30kWh. I believe that model doesn't have battery heater, wonder if it is just the car throttling charge rate in low temps?
The Ioniq 38 has a battery heater, but this knocks 2.2kW off the charge rate in low temps.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've not found our 30kW Soul to throttle at low temps - not at home anyway, gets the full 6ish kW straight from the off, even below freezing. I wonder whether it's the bug with some PodPoints that came to life a few years ago - if you plugged your cable into the car first, and then the PodPoint, the charge rate got stuck at 3kW. If you connected to the charger first and then the car, you got full speed. Maybe these are a couple of PodPoints that never had that issue rectified?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Interesting that both posters with slow charging have the Soul 30kWh. I believe that model doesn't have battery heater, wonder if it is just the car throttling charge rate in low temps?
The Ioniq 38 has a battery heater, but this knocks 2.2kW off the charge rate in low temps.
This is cobblers! Car charges at the same rate with the onboard charger regardless of battery temp. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
This is cobblers! Car charges at the same rate with the onboard charger regardless of battery temp. Cheers.
Did @Electrickery mean that the battery heater draws 2.2kW, which means there is 2.2kW less for putting into the battery when it is cold enough for the battery heater to kick in?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just in case it it useful to anyone else looking at this in the future.
I went to another podpoint charger at a retail park (went to Boots) and was there for 53 minutes and topped up 5.4kWh, so it does seem like that Tesco charging post was only delivering half of what it is capable of.
Not to self, when at Tesco, try the other podpoint post.

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
406 Posts
So just to add to this, it is worth checking the post. At my Tesco they didn't have enough power on site (I asked them directly) to install 2 x 7 kW posts (4 plugs). So they installed one 7 kW (the bill board type) and the other is 3 kW
Also at the Sainsbury's near my Dad's, same issue but this time they only installed 2 x 3 kW posts

Always worth checking the top of the post and maybe they installed 3 kW but left the sign up for the 7 kW

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
Does your car dashboard show you the rate it is getting electricity ?
This is sometimes better than the suppliers' app showing what it is giving to the car
( Note the different words ---- getting, giving. ---- there are losses in between )
I use a post marked 7kw but the car shows it it getting 6.7 --- likewise other posts the car shows 7.2

Also not to dishearten you, but wait to you try a "50kw" rapid
10:15am you might get 45, at 14:15, only 27kw
On a Monday 19, on a Friday 47.
Quite often no rhyme or reason, just assume that when you plug in to a 50kw, it really means " up to 50kw, depending on 8 million factors, none of which you can control "
I do find the speed I get from a Rapid is inverse proportion to the urgency I wish to get back on the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts