Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Just joined forum & need some help.
I installed a podpoint tethered type 2 charger 4 month's ago that worked fine until last week.
Started charging intermittently & now is dead no less what so ever.
There is power going to pcb & board fuse is ok, is there anyone that repairs these pubs?
Thank in advance 馃檹

Registered
Contact Podpoint as the charge point is only four months old...... see what they say.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately unit is second hand & I installed it myself 4 months ago

Registered
You could consider replacing it with a basic Rolec, 2nd hand, sure to be some on eBay. Nice thing about these is they have industry std rail mounting system internally, use std RCBO (it's recommended to bin the existing one if has Rolec name on it, and swap for a good quality Garo 拢25, long threads about all this stuff elsewhere etc etc). The ECU unit (brains) is replaceable with a Viridian Mainpine one for about 拢80, and the contactor is also a standard item. I for one don't like being tied to a particular mfrs pcb, and the Rolec doesn't have one :). Some reckon the Rolec case is flimsy; well, maybe they can crack if screwed to a non-flat wall. Mine's been in 5 years, inside my gge, and hasn't cracked. There are some other EVSEs that use the Viridian ECU & are similarly diy-maintainable, including the kit OpenEVSE one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice
I will have a look, but I wanted a tethered version.
Cheers mate

Registered
i think they're called evbitz something - I bought mine to mend an EO thing that burnt out - now its nice and simple. They also have loads of info on their site as well. You'll be amazed at just how much money is being made by these installers and manufacturers !!

Registered
evbitz do 2 versions of the Viridian Mainpine controller. One's for tethered, the other for untethered. Current control goes from 6A up to 32A, depending on a small resistor wired across 2 of the terminals. Which makes it dead easy to wire in a multi-position switch & give yourself a range of currents to choose from! I think Jeffery has the right idea; reuse existing case etc. If it also uses a standard rail internally that's a real bonus, makes it a piece of cake. :)

Registered
Robsta, this one on eBay looks ok, but it's "only" a 3.7 kW. Fine for most plug-in hybrids, but not ideal "future-proof" material if you have a full Bev & want to charge at nearer 32A. You didn't tell us what Ev you drive, or whether you're happy with "only" a 16A EVSE.

Registered
You can get a pcb from podpoint, think it鈥檚 200 quid.
Was the unit ever online? Call podpoint and see what the problem is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts