Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had podpoint change their tethered cable?
Still got the type 2-1 cable, will need 2-2.
What cost was involved?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
There has been some talk about this, the cheapest option is to just buy the replacement cable yourself and if you feel confident fit it yourself too. Otherwise you can pay a sparky to do it for you but sorry I don't know the cost. Shouldn't take too long but the issue is probably going to be finding one who is certified to work on EV stuff which will depend where you live.

You can also get a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter but they cost as much as the cables.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Actually, there's no certification involved in replacing a cable, any sparky or DIY can do it if they are competent.

Just make sure unit is properly isolated from its power supply before removing the cover.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
The cost will be the cost of the cable, £80 to £150 depending on length and where you buy it from. That's for a tethered cable. Not sure what you mean by 2-2.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I'm not sure that using one on ones own property to charge one's own car could be considered illegal.
What law would it break?
I didn't say it was illegal. Just dangerous because it's possible to disconnect without first cutting the power. There have been several threads discussing these adaptors.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Ok, let's say I have type one connector on my podpoint, a d then I buy a type 2 car. I decide to keep my type 1 connector because my Mum visits every 2nd day and she has a type 1 Leaf. I use an adaptor to charge my type 2 car. Ok so far so good.

• I decide to disconnect the charging cable from my car. I leave the adaptor plugged into the car. I press the trigger. Will it disconnect the power at the EVSE before the control pilot pin is withdrawn.????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Aberdeenleaf, I think you have a charger with the type 2 socket and using a type 2 to type 1 cable permanently pluged in, where a tethered cable would be hard wired to the charger with a type 1 or type 2 plug.
To confirm this use the type 2 cable that was supplied with your leaf and plug it into your podpoint charger, if this is the case buy a new type 2 to type 2 cable and sell the type 2 to type 1 cable.
I hope this helped.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Ok, let's say I have type one connector on my podpoint, a d then I buy a type 2 car. I decide to keep my type 1 connector because my Mum visits every 2nd day and she has a type 1 Leaf. I use an adaptor to charge my type 2 car. Ok so far so good.

• I decide to disconnect the charging cable from my car. I leave the adaptor plugged into the car. I press the trigger. Will it disconnect the power at the EVSE before the control pilot pin is withdrawn.????
What "trigger"?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's a tethered charger, the charging cable is JUST a type 1 OR a type 2.

No idea why a tethered charging cable would be type 2 to type 2
It is tethered, so just a plug at one end.
Semantics aside, I still need to change it from type 1 to type 2.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
It is tethered, so just a plug at one end.
Semantics aside, I still need to change it from type 1 to type 2.
Ok, now we have that out of the way, least wasteful method of changing is the buy a new type 2 plug, remove old type 1 and crimp ( hydraulic) the new pins on to the existing wires.
If you are not capable, just buy a new lead complete with type 2 connector and at the loose cores, make sure these have crimped ferrules.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Ok, now we have that out of the way, least wasteful method of changing is the buy a new type 2 plug, remove old type 1 and crimp ( hydraulic) the new pins on to the existing wires.
If you are not capable, just buy a new lead complete with type 2 connector and at the loose cores, make sure these have crimped ferrules.
I wouldn't recommend changing the plug, it's not that simple and you need the right tool. A pre-crimped cable can be swapped with just a screwdriver, no harder than re-writing a plug.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't recommend changing the plug, it's not that simple and you need the right tool. A pre-crimped cable can be swapped with just a screwdriver, no harder than re-writing a plug.
I vaguely remember thinking the same when the podpoint installer showed me the innards.
And I have the torxhead tools necessary to remove the cover.
£109.95 for the cable and type 2 plug though...bit steep innit!?!?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It looks that way when you see a cable and a plastic plug but it's armoured high current cable and the plug has to be engineered and certified to a high standard and made out of more expensive plastics that can tolerate heat and wide temperature. In the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive really.

Don't get me started on car mats though. 90 quid for some Kia mats?!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I vaguely remember thinking the same when the podpoint installer showed me the innards.
There's no amour on a mode 1 or mode 2 charging cable. Just normal cable construction with cores, bedding sheath etc, no armour.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
It's £70 for just the type 2 plug.

If you are at all dextrous, fitting the plug is about the same difficulty as fixing a bicycle puncture. In both cases it pays to have the correct tools ( and patience).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's £70 for just the type 2 plug.

If you are at all dextrous, fitting the plug is about the same difficulty as fixing a bicycle puncture. In both cases it pays to have the correct tools ( and patience).
I'd prefer changing the cable in the podpoint.
Just for the fact that end is under no handling pressure at all, whereas I'd constantly be tugging at the plug end (ooh-err, matron) and any shortcomings in my fitting would show up quickly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts