Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
vauxhall corsa e elite nav
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my Vauxhall the dealer told me that Podpoint would be fitting my home charge point, Dealer just rang me to say it will now be fitted by Bp chargemaster.
any ideas to which one is better?

·
Registered
2020 Renault Zoe R135 Iconic
1,283 Posts
Pod Point would be my preference. I Prefer their chargers, they seem to be more reliable, and their customer service is better should you have a problem and need some help.

BP Chargemaster, even in terms of their public charging network is a bit crap these days imo so I tend to avoid them.

If the chargepoint is completely free as part of the deal with the car then just take it I guess. There's not much to lose in that case. But if it is the usual grant discount and you're topping it up with your own money then I would probably say get in touch with Pod Point yourself to arrange them to install.

·
Registered
vauxhall corsa e elite nav
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's part of the deal, but if for whatever reason they can't or won't fit I have priced up fitting one using my tame electrition.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sample size of one, but BP Chargemaster did a great job with my home charger. They installed in back in March just as lockdown kicked in and I didn't use it until August when my car (Zoe) arrived. It worked first time and has given zero issues. I like being able to sign in and see how much energy has been delivered by each charging session. Their office was a bit of a pain to deal with, but the electrician was top notch and did a good job on my slightly tricky cable run.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sample size of one, but BP Chargemaster did a great job with my home charger. They installed in back in March just as lockdown kicked in and I didn't use it until August when my car (Zoe) arrived. It worked first time and has given zero issues. I like being able to sign in and see how much energy has been delivered by each charging session. Their office was a bit of a pain to deal with, but the electrician was top notch and did a good job on my slightly tricky cable run.
Absolutely agree with this - the office ask a lot of questions and find problems where there are none. Was told I needed to pay for a new small CU, but the installer put in a voltage regulator(?) instead of a earth rod and I didn't get charged.

The smart functionality is a bit rubbish (for the Zoe especially as it insists on delivering 1.3kW outside scheduled times - I use the car timer instead) but you can see the charging sessions.

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
186 Posts
Might not be a BP/Chargemaster specific issue but working out what was wrong with my setup consisted of replacing the unit, shrugging and stating the car is at fault when that didn't work.
Considering they are the "official" partner of Renault you'd think they'd have some basic equipment/facilities to be able to test both sides of the setup on-site, rather than sending you to the dealer who just notes it works on their charger.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Might not be a BP/Chargemaster specific issue but working out what was wrong with my setup consisted of replacing the unit, shrugging and stating the car is at fault when that didn't work.
Considering they are the "official" partner of Renault you'd think they'd have some basic equipment/facilities to be able to test both sides of the setup on-site, rather than sending you to the dealer who just notes it works on their charger.
Hey @Hotlush , I think I remember your thread from the Zoe board (we were having our problems about the same time). You fixed yours in the end by cleaning the contacts on the Zoe's charger?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey @Hotlush , I think I remember your thread from the Zoe board (we were having our problems about the same time). You fixed yours in the end by cleaning the contacts on the Zoe's charger?
Thats right.
Might still not have found the exact issue but would have been handy if someone could state "the car isn't charging because X is too high/low/wobbly".

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
89 Posts
I don’t know about PodPoint but chargemaster seem to be installing without an Earth Rod nowadays which makes life a bit easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Harry, I had my BP Chargemaster installed on Wednesday and getting my Zoe on Monday.

Where do you sign in / register to see how much energy has been delivered?

I have installed the app on my iPhone which asks me to log in, but I cannot find anywhere to register before logging in.

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
89 Posts
I had my charger installed on Monday and received an email with log in details on Thursday,

Just need the car now :(

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi Harry, I had my BP Chargemaster installed on Wednesday and getting my Zoe on Monday.

I have installed the app on my iPhone which asks me to log in, but I cannot find anywhere to register before logging in.
I use a laptop rather than a phone app to access the data, don't know if that makes a difference. Here's the link I use:

Chargevision | Login

An account was set up us for using the email we submitted to Chargemaster, so if that link doesn't work for you, you probably just need to contact them and ask to be set up.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don’t know about PodPoint but chargemaster seem to be installing without an Earth Rod nowadays which makes life a bit easier.
Hey Andy,
Chargemaster knew that our Zoe needs a good earth and certainly did install an earth rod for us. I guess if your car is less fussy than a Zoe(?) then maybe you didn't need one?

·
Registered
186 Posts

As above, they will send you an email invitingyou to register/login.
Worth checking spam folder just in case?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Chargemaster installer put an earth rod in for mine as well.

I had seen youtube videos of electricians struggling to get an earth rod in the ground, but when the installer did mine, it went in like a hot knife cutting butter :)

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
89 Posts
Hey Andy,
Chargemaster knew that our Zoe needs a good earth and certainly did install an earth rod for us. I guess if your car is less fussy than a Zoe(?) then maybe you didn't need one?
it is for a Zoe - apparently it uses a “pme device” and uses the ground of the grid which is much more reliable than a ground rod. In practical terms a new consumer unit with magic inside it is fitted between the meter box and the charger bypassing the existing CU.

I don’t know if this is suitable for all installations but apparently is a fairly recent change or interpretation of the regs?

I also don’t know if it works yet as I ain’t got the car yet, but people on the RZOC Facebook group say theirs works fine.

·
Registered
864 Posts
it is for a Zoe - apparently it uses a “pme device” and uses the ground of the grid which is much more reliable than a ground rod. In practical terms a new consumer unit with magic inside it is fitted between the meter box and the charger bypassing the existing CU.

I don’t know if this is suitable for all installations but apparently is a fairly recent change or interpretation of the regs?

I also don’t know if it works yet as I ain’t got the car yet, but people on the RZOC Facebook group say theirs works fine.
Interesting! and good to know. Hopefully all will be well when your car arrives. We didn't use ours for 5 months and it worked first time, so hopefully yours will be the same :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts