Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia E-Niro 4 arrives on Friday 17th July. Will photograph. Wildly excited. Kia dealer recommended PodPoint - why I don't know. It doesn't seem to offer any discount/priority booking.

My experience with PodPoint has been zero points so far. No-one to speak to, lost site surveys, refusal to give an installation date. So I started looking around and following Chickster's advice on here looked at Ohme. Told PodPoint. Suddenly they got into action. So I could have a PodPoint on 31st July or request a refund and start with HomeCharge and get an Ohme. Leaning towards Ohme ATM. Any thoughts? If I'm splitting hairs I may as well just stay with PodPoint.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Kia E-Niro 4 arrives on Friday 17th July. Will photograph. Wildly excited. Kia dealer recommended PodPoint - why I don't know. It doesn't seem to offer any discount/priority booking.

My experience with PodPoint has been zero points so far. No-one to speak to, lost site surveys, refusal to give an installation date. So I started looking around and following Chickster's advice on here looked at Ohme. Told PodPoint. Suddenly they got into action. So I could have a PodPoint on 31st July or request a refund and start with HomeCharge and get an Ohme. Leaning towards Ohme ATM. Any thoughts? If I'm splitting hairs I may as well just stay with PodPoint.
It's also about future proofing and Ohme's customer service is excellent so far. Lots of updates remotely and doesn't just charge at set time but will start/stop half hourly during that time to always give you cheapest rates. Somehow monitors grid. Is your Ohme local installer Smart Home Charge? That's who installed mine. Once I sent my photos and video they were always in contact and although said could be a 3-4 week lead time actually installed it about 2 weeks later.

There's someone on this forum that had a Podpoint and has changed to Ohme. Don't pay twice. You can pay loads if you want to but for me the Ohme has been an excellent smart charger and cost me £500 so brilliant for the price. If you tell Smart Home Charge you chose them after watching the EVM Youtube video, you get £25 discount as well!

BTW - I'd always go for a tethered charger

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
I also had a bad experience trying to get a response out of Pod-Point - and this was back in November long before the days of COVID. What put me off the most was I simply asked around how I could 'estimate' my non-standard installation cost before I actually gave them money but did not get anything back.

Have a good read around the Ohme threads here, there's a few bugbears if you plan to use them with Octopus Agile (also don't forget you can get a discount from Octopus if you are a customer of theirs), but they seem like a solid choice with good support which is something.

The Ohme is certainly going to be more intelligent - and is not going to need to connect back to your home Internet Router / Wi-Fi if that might be a challenge - as it uses it's own mobile network connection.

·
Registered
530 Posts
+1 for OHME. It works with Agile pricing, so you get the benefit of very low charging costs... You are on Octopus Energy already? 🙂 If you are, then you can buy the portable OHME for £199 (the one that says 32A commando plug), and have a local electrician to install the correct socket etc. No need to pay over inflated prices just to get the grant.

Also, you can ask family/friends to install the same 32A socket, and you can take the portable OHME with you and charge at theirs. Then return the favour when they visit you with their EV.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I also had a bad experience trying to get a response out of Pod-Point - and this was back in November long before the days of COVID. What put me off the most was I simply asked around how I could 'estimate' my non-standard installation cost before I actually gave them money but did not get anything back.

Have a good read around the Ohme threads here, there's a few bugbears if you plan to use them with Octopus Agile (also don't forget you can get a discount from Octopus if you are a customer of theirs), but they seem like a solid choice with good support which is something.

The Ohme is certainly going to be more intelligent - and is not going to need to connect back to your home Internet Router / Wi-Fi if that might be a challenge - as it uses it's own mobile network connection.
You get the Octopus discount only on the smart cables but not the smart wall charger.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Or get a local sparkie to fit a suitable commando and it still be cheaper than most other chargers if you get it from the octopus offer 👍😉

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 again for the Commando version of the ohme charger, using a 32amp interlocked socket. Used it for the 1st time last night to charge our new Zoe 50. Was quite easy to set up to add 25% charge before 7am at a unit rate of less than 6p/kWh. Looking forward to a price plunge so can set it to a lower p/kWh to see how it tackles it.
One thing I would say though is that the mains input lead is a bit on the short side from the commando plug to the ohme charger. Could do with being about 50% longer to make it easier to hang the ohme on the wall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone know how long the Ohme/Octopus offer is likely to last?

A few months to car is due just don't want to miss out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anyone know how long the Ohme/Octopus offer is likely to last?

A few months to car is due just don't want to miss out.
We ordered our ohme just after ordering the car, to make sure we had it for when the car arrived. Probably, the offer will continue for a while, but better to save now than possibly pay more later.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd better confess that in the end we stayed with Podpoint. After I phoned and complained re non responsiveness they leapt into action and we have a swift install in the diary now. We decided just to stay with this. TBH we are so nervous about our leap into the EV world that we are taking the easiest possible routes at the moment. Most people on this forum seem very able to understand the new technology whereas we are EV massive novices. I fell asleep watching you tube videos last night. But I guess we'll learn quickly. And this is for Planet Earth in our case.

·
Registered
226 Posts
@Ritzspark can confirm it was present last week as ordered then and arrived next day. No issues with keeping until the EV arrives, mine isn't here for a month.

Note that "proper" to the book Commando installs for the Ohme -> I've been quoted £350 all in including a matt-e isolation for earth isolation so no ground spikes -> so it's a total of £550. Bargain considering due to location we are not eligable for the grant, so Podpoint was coming in at > £700

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
including a matt-e isolation for earth isolation so no ground spikes
The Matt:e does NOT provide Earth isolation nor security in the event of a failed PNE in all circumstances. It does meet the current regs: BS 7671: 2018: Amendment 1: 2020 Regulation 722.411.4.1. Whilst good at what it does a cynic would observe that installers like it as it is less work than providing an effective Earth via a spike.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Personally from what i have seen and learned about the MATT:e i would skip that and just stick your own earth spike in that meets the spec, yes it may need to be deep but its often less hassle long term. Read about its issue in the V2G trials groups and others. but its also another box to suck up electric and occupy space in a premise...

·
Registered
50 Posts
@Ritzspark can confirm it was present last week as ordered then and arrived next day. No issues with keeping until the EV arrives, mine isn't here for a month.

Note that "proper" to the book Commando installs for the Ohme -> I've been quoted £350 all in including a matt-e isolation for earth isolation so no ground spikes -> so it's a total of £550. Bargain considering due to location we are not eligable for the grant, so Podpoint was coming in at > £700
I ended up ordering Friday and arrived Sat morning. We're getting a new consumer unit fitted in a couple of months so will get them to add on a Commando socket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts