Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can those who have a home pod point, or local ones please comment

I had a home pod point solo installed, the round 14inch thing. I was disappointed it only seemed to pump out 6.6 - 6.7kW. I had a Ioniq loan car Mon/Tues and it too would only drink at that level, so I thought it was the point.
I've had an email and phone call with pod point support who said the home unit is registered and is no longer in default plug-play mode, as that can have a slightly reduced output.

Previously I had thought it was my Kona as my car would only same take 6.7 at a local supermarket pod point.
I've now tried another supermarket, and a retail park both Pod Point double barrelled named 7kw marked posts, and again only 6.6 to 6.7. (Yes, I confirm the charge on the app within the 15mins)
So it seems not my home unit, and due to the Ioniq result - nor my car.

I'm sure I have seen my Kona get 7 off of a ZeroCarbon point, and I have found a polar 7kw nearby so next plan to try my car with both of those and re check. If I can truly get 7 off of a 7 marked post, I will go back to PodPoint about my home unit.
It's making a 50% charge at home take an hour longer than the app/in car computer pre-estimate.
I know if I charge overnight then really it's a first world problem .... but I'm sure some of you may agree That's Not The Point !!!

I saw 11 on a 22kw about a month back, and I got 11 off of an 11kw Rolec at the dealers' yesterday.
My car drinks 47 off of a rapid and I joined the 70+ club on a super rapid, so DC is fine.
I'm just north of Portsmouth so it's not as if I am in temp extremes of Arizona or Northern Norway, and the car is at around 40-70%soc during the above situations (and the Ioniq was at 30%).

The vehicle management system computer levels were also checked on Monday whilst it was at the garage and found to not need updating.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, purely going on what the dashboard says about rate of charge, and the expected-time-to values in the centre display / phone app. Vehicle is "off" in all of the above , they were not sat there with the "ignition on".

·
Registered
842 Posts
It's making a 50% charge at home take an hour longer than the app/in car computer pre-estimate.

If you are charging up to near 100%, I'd expect the charging rate to be throttled back by the car in the region of 90% -100%, so the last few percent will take ages anyway, whatever the charger is capable of...

If the prediction is assuming a constant 7.7 kW and its actually constant at 6.7 kW, the time difference for a 50 % charge with these charging rates would be about 36 minutes.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
65 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't check the charge rates. I just plug in and leave it I'm afraid. Sorry I can't help further! :)

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
If you are charging up to near 100%, I'd expect the charging rate to be throttled back by the car in the region of 90% -100%, so the last few percent will take ages anyway, whatever the charger is capable of...

If the prediction is assuming a constant 7.7 kW and its actually constant at 6.7 kW, the time difference for a 50 % charge with these charging rates would be about 36 minutes.
throttling is entirely the wrong word to describe CONTROL of the charging process.

Thottling involves dissipation of energy, increase in entropy etc. This is definitely not the case!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
65 Posts
throttling is entirely the wrong word to describe CONTROL of the charging process.

Thottling involves dissipation of energy, increase in entropy etc. This is definitely not the case!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Jeez, who rattled your charger!! ;)

Kona EV 64Kw Premium SE in Galactic Grey

·
Registered
842 Posts

Your daily medication hasn't taken effect yet.

I have used the word in the same way as this article (third line) Vehicle-to-grid - Wikipedia
- if its good enough for Wikipedia, I think its good enough for most of us.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My issue occurred regardless of Ioniq / Kona, or whether the HV battery was 20,30,40,50 or 60% full.
I purposely kept it low.
My comment 50% charge meant 10>60, 30>80 -- the time to do that ( I don't think AC charging throttles down much before you get above 85,90%).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts