Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PodPoint are insisting my unit is working "as designed"

There was no uplift (from 6.6kW) when it was fully registered. Zilch, no change at all.
I tried another vehicle, no change.
The installing engineer has been back, disconnected the house supply so the external feed is just going to the PodPoint, no change.
He then disconnected the PodPoint unit from the external lead and connected a rival product = 7.1kw.

I am convinced either PodPoint have not un-capped my unit, or, it's faulty in some way.

But I would like to hear if others had their stuck in capped mode, or if they noticed an uplift after it had been fully registered.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

@Tandy0 which I think top down is 1 1 0 0 1

so the first 2 being 1 1 are 7.2kw according to the dip settings table in the install guide

·
Registered
964 Posts
Do you have a current transformer attached? I believe there is an option (not mentioned in the instructions) to reduce the current if the house is using a lot of power.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
A simple answer - ours gave 7.2kW out of the box both before and after registration but is not fitted with a current clamp (it is our other EVSE that is limited). Why would you expect registration to make a c.10% difference?

·
Registered
Kona64
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Current Transformer --- not sure, but we disabled all switches in the consumer unit bar the dedicated one for the PodPoint to rule out anything else taking power.

I was told that the delivery unit is capped and only delivers a certain power value until it is unlocked, or uncapped by PodPoint as part of the registration process. Hence me expecting to have seen a change of some sort up from 6.6
So it's interesting @dk6780 you did not have this experience (and I'm effffffing jealous)
Was yours installed years back and perhaps newer ones now have this capping ?

How would I know if there is a current clamp involved ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
PodPoint can control the kW rating remotely (My PodPoint was remotely downgraded from 7.2kW to 3.6kW without changing the dip switches). Any remote change will require the unit to be connected to WiFi. I wonder in your case if they've restricted the unit to 6.6kW because of supply restrictions (e.g., if you don't have the current transformer). The unit should provide full current unless configured otherwise. I suspect when the unit is remotely de-rated, then changing the dip switches won't have any effect.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
Kona64
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update
They "pushed a s/w update overnight " ---- and it now works as expected/hoped/paid for.

Not the best customer service experience given time frames and number of times I had to chase them and repeat the same p.d. information time and time again ...... but now it works so Got There.

Reactions: HandyAndy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts