Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever paid for charge from a Polar charge station? I downloaded their app recently but didn't finish registration as I would have had to pre pay £20. I am curious about peoples opinion on the service though, being able to book a charge point in advance. How do people feel about paying for it? How easy is the process etc?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
You've walked into a minefield right there @Bill Barham !

Suggest you take a quick search and read in the charging forums before the rush starts, particularly the Polar Instant feedback thread and others on Chargemaster / Polar. PLENTY to be getting on with.

:D

·
Registered
697 Posts
*takes a deep breath*

I pre-paid £20, because it's the only way to use the free posts. I won't be using paid-for posts, as it's cheaper to fill (my Ampera) up with petrol, than pay the Chargemaster prices. I'm also nervous about their policy of pricing by "time connected" rather than "electricity consumed" - making plugging in a bit of a gamble.

(@Paul - hope that was restrained enough? :p)

·
Super Moderator
12,344 Posts
I prepaid the £20 so I can use the only Polar charge point in the area. I've used it a few times now. It is has been handy as the only other public charge point in Bangor has very short opening hours in the winter.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I too did the £5 trick. Worked fine. Now I just need to get the free Waitrose point to let me charge! I'll try this weekend. I will only use free locations until they charge a sensible rate.

Interesting observation though... looking at the POLAR map it seems that every single one of their stations are available or in use. None of them are marked as unavailable! This is highly unlikely given the that some are likely turned off, some are broken etc. I think this shows that the so called "live" map is anything but live.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I would suggest that their "live" map is as live as their Polar "instant" app is instant.

For anyone who hasn't used it, it is PAINFUL... Watching the timer ticking down while it tries to communicate with the post. The posts only seem to handshake once a minute or so.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have been using the Polar card for a month at free Waitrose and Asda sites. There is an app too, but the card seems quicker. Usually I spend in store so I think they do ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts