Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, does anyone have any clue or information as to what the "range of tariffs" polar/chargemaster are planning to introduce this year?

Think this could be really interesting as they seem to be the "big" charge provider (so far as cards go) aside from Ecotricity.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know but if they start charging me they better improve their service. My last 3 ChargeMaster post visits have all been broken.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take your point, and due to the fact the ones in Milton Keynes are usually either ICEd or out of order I think PAYG makes sense, as I'd hate to subscribe to something I can't use.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Surely this will either cause others to also introduce some sort of charging ( Ecotricity for example ) or it will put more pressure on the 'free' chargers that are out there.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Paying for charging is inevitable; however, I will change the dynamics of EV utilisation. Users will alter their modus operandi to maximise the charging at supermarket free (?) chargers and home-based charging.
There should have been a debate about alternative charging models. It would have been preferable to pay per kw - albeit with a significant markup. The charge per connection is probably the worst option from a driver's perspective.
In my experience (approaching 20K for my first year) many of my chargers are only a 'sniff'. For a 300 miles trip, I will exploit Rapid Chargers, wherever possible, but one you get off the motorways, I find that I need 30mins on a Fast Charger to get to my destination. With an iMiev, that often only 3-4 kw. I wouldn't wan to sit on a charger for 3-hrs just to get value for money.
Charging per connection is not how an ICE'd car works - so why should we accept it with EVs? Companies like Chargemaster have predicted the Klondike for EV charging and UK Govt has no policy. Bad news? But why is this so? Quite simply its that HMG wants to seek effective charging in place so that the mechanism can be used to collect taxes!
First generation EV users have had a 'tax honeymoon'; however, as drivers change over, the tax obligations will follow. Late adopters will find EV operation at least as expensive as ICE'd cars.
Get your 'free miles' in now - days are numbered!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Just wondering, does anyone have any clue or information as to what the "range of tariffs" polar/chargemaster are planning to introduce this year?
I suspect they just hope the OLEV support continues so they don't have to introduce charging fees... certainly EV infrastructure deployment is not going to plan;

Chargemaster Pulls Plug On £30m AIM Listing

Personally I think most people will avoid fees by charging at home and using long range BEVs and Hybrids :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I certainly will not pay a subscription to Chargemaster!!.
I will only use them if they are Pay as you go.
Not impressed with Chargemaster. They do not care about keeping there posts up and running!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'd have absolutely no problem paying for Ecotricity rapids right now, honestly.But Chargemaster posts? I get the general impression they couldn't give a flying about uptime or enforcing bay reservation / marking. They've taken the money and washed their hands of it.I think charging fees is only realistic if the network is reliable. A PAYG model makes the most sense, but there's no way I'm paying up-front for a service I'm 99% certain I won't be able to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.