Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was worth of it's own thread, as it's not really central to most people's issues with Chargemaster.

Some may recall this from earlier in April, whereby Chargemaster advised @Matt Beard of the EVDA that the £20 "credit" need only be £3 and you can claim the rest back. While convoluted and quite ridiculous, I think it offered some comfort to those intending only to use free chargers with the Polar Instant app.

Well, thanks to a conversation today (still April!) with @Julian Thomas you can forget that crumb of comfort, because apparently Chargemaster can't afford to refund you your £17 after all, poor old them. :(

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
LOL!

We ran an on-line shop for many years and had no issues with issuing refunds. I don't know who their credit card merchant processor is but if they won't refund because of card charges they should look to change to a more flexible provider.

This is an out and out excuse IMO.

I think that this shows the true metal of the company. I would rather be recovered on a flatbed at my own cost than give a penny to Chargemaster. Maybe that is irrational but I have to make decisions I can live with and giving my money to Chargemaster is something I cannot live with.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
guys don't forget its not just the cost of the refund its the time and effort for someone to do each of them.

In the grand scheme of things £20 is not a lot of money, I spent 5 times that on RFID cards I hardly use and I believe its good to have it there as backup, when you have no other options but to use a chargemaster charging point.

As I have said before I wont let £20 and my pride get in the way of not getting my family home

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guys don't forget its not just the cost of the refund its the time and effort for someone to do each of them.

In the grand scheme of things £20 is not a lot of money, I spent 5 times that on RFID cards I hardly use and I believe its good to have it there as backup, when you have no other options but to use a chargemaster charging point.

As I have said before I wont let £20 and my pride get in the way of not getting my family home
This isn't about the cost, it's about the turn-around and conflicting advice.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
This isn't about the cost, it's about the turn-around and conflicting advice.
Paul I disagree everyone was up in arms about the 20 quid charge long before any refund was discussed, the two issues have now become one

Yes i agree is not been managed well but again I try to separate my indignation from the reality of having that 20 quid there for emergencies. Yes I would prefer to pay as I go but thats not being offered as a service yet

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I would prefer to pay as I go but thats not being offered as a service yet
Better tell Chargemaster that!

POLAR Instant is the largest network of Pay As You Go charging points worldwide.

Source: https://www.polarinstant.com/downloadapp.php ;) :D

I know what you mean, and I am not surprised that Polar / Chargemaster wish to exploit their monopoly for all it's worth for as long as they market will stand it, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't call them out on their actions.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Yes I would prefer to pay as I go but thats not being offered as a service yet
I have no doubt this scheme will meet OLEVs requirements for PAYG so I think those people who want access to the CM network must live with it :(

The solution to all of this is range... next time buy a new/used Ampera, i3 REx, or Tesla Model S/E/X, and drive past the CM locations until you find a ZeroNet one ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think under the Distance Selling Regulations Chargemaster may have to refund all of your money...

Reactions: cgiAlexis

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think under the Distance Selling Regulations Chargemaster may have to refund all of your money...
I think that might be worth a try and when writing to Chargemaster to request a refund under the distance selling regulations you could also make a formal "subject access request" in order to prove to free post suppliers in consumer focused organisations that you have now been excluded from using their inducements unless you pay the third party post provider, who has already been paid for the installation, additional fees.
http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information
Request all email and telphone calls and useage data since you first purchased the card from Chargemaster and all its subsidiaries ie Polar etc and get your current access status to free posts with a card purchased prior to 1st April 2014 and any changes post April 2014.
There may be a small fee to pay for this but they will certainly have to focus on actioning a reply or be heavily fined under the powers of the information commisioner. They have now had a month to to make their position clear and do the right thing, time to flush them out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think that might be worth a try and when writing to Chargemaster to request a refund under the diatance selling regulations you could also make a formal "subject access request" in order to prove to free post suppliers in consumer focused organisations that you have now been excluded from using their inducement unless you pay the post provider, who has already been paid for the installation, additional fees.
http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information
There may be a small fee to pay for this but they will certainly have to focus or be heavily fined under the powers of the information commisioner.
Seriously, don't bother with Chargemaster. Just get the bank/card provider to perform a chargeback due to services not provided. It'll be a lot quicker to get your money back and incur a cost to Chargemaster.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Seriously, don't bother with Chargemaster. Just get the bank/card provider to perform a chargeback due to services not provided. It'll be a lot quicker to get your money back and incur a cost to Chargemaster.
I like that idea too, have you actually succeeded in doing it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like that idea too, have you actually succeeded in doing it?
Not personally as I have had no further dealing with Chargemaster since 1 April and do not wish to take up any of their offerings.

The bank will act in your favour and carry out the chargeback quickly (unlike paypal which is shit - sorry Elon fans).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not personally as I have had no further dealing with Chargemaster since 1 April and do not wish to take up any of their offerings.

The bank will act in your favour and carry out the chargeback quickly (unlike paypal which is shit - sorry Elon fans).
OK thanks. If anyone does please post here:).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I paid for the polar instant membership as I needed to get from London to Coventry a while ago. They never sent me a card (apparently their T& C's changed) and due to this I'm always having issues with a crashing app. Anyone managed to get a refund from these people or at least get them to send a card rather than using the app?

Thanks

·
Electric Leaf Man
1,898 Posts
you have to subscribe on the monthly payments scheme to get a card now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts