Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chargemaster just tweeted a link to their iOS app: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/polar-instant/id847539371?mt=8 and promised the PolarInstant website will be online soon.

No word though on the Android app yet, which is strange if the delays were down to Apple you'd think they could have posted the Android link at the same time or even before the iOS one.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
No word though on the Android app yet, which is strange if the delays were down to Apple you'd think they could have posted the Android link at the same time or even before the iOS one.
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know what Android is..

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Wow, all this time and still obvious typos?!

POLAR Instant allows you to simply and instantaneously access a national estate of charging points simply from you smart phone. You do not need to bother with and advance registration process and or an RFID card. Hundreds of charging points area available across the country including many rapid chargers. Many of the charging points are free to use and the chargeable ones have the tariff clearly shown on your smartphone.
Confidence rating 1/10. ;)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It seems a decent enough app at first glance, but the map is incorrect and outdated, no rapids in/around Milton Keynes, chargers about 4 miles away from actual location...

Guess that's progress?!

Moved these posts into their own topic as I think this could be quite a long and in-depth part of the overall Chargemaster / Polar discussions.

:)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Yep, looks ok.
Pleased to see the Cambridge Grafton East charger listed as £0/hr :)

The MK chargers do appear to have prices attached. I guess it is up to the local council that funded them.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Anyone able to test if it allows free charging from a free post without needing to subscribe to one of the monthly or annual packages?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Searching for "Polar" in the Google Play store (i.e for the Android version) finds nothing useful. However, searching for "Chargemaster" finds a book called "Healthcare Payment Systems - An Introduction".

That's the master plan, isn't it? After they've taken over the charging system they're going to privatise the NHS! :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
image.jpg

This is a cropped screenshot from the new app. It looks like they're confusing Kw (kW :rolleyes:) with kWh.. Doh!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Oh, there's a bug you can't back out from.

Welcome screen > Sign up > Close... nothing happens, stuck on sign up screen. Tried three times, failed every time, requires you to fully close and re-open app.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
View attachment 581
This is a cropped screenshot from the new app. It looks like they're confusing Kw (kW :rolleyes:) with kWh.. Doh!
I'd like to know what they are charging on that post... is it a bus? 245kWh battery pack? guess that's a few hours even on a rapid charger..

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Are they taking the pee by showing kWh data is there and available if they decided to charge more fairly and openly?!
Wasn't the per kWh issue a legal one? which I believe has recently changed.. so allowing a future pricing change.. (giving them time to check the legals)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Wasn't the per kWh issue a legal one? which I believe has recently changed.. so allowing a future pricing change.. (giving them time to check the legals)
If they didn't know that change was coming a week after they announced prices it just goes to show how ridiculous the entire situation is re: EVs and gov/private company comms and funding.

Anyway, App with a crash like that and typos in the intro text, no testing?! Doesn't give much confidence it'll work with taking money accurately to me!

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I'm a bit confused why all the anger is directed at Chargemaster. I would think MK council are to blame here - other regions (like Cambridge) are still free even using the new app.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts