Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had six months free Polar Plus, which has now run out. In those six months, I've used Polar plus chargers about 6 times, with future usages looking similar, so I really don't think it's worth the sub fee for just one use a month, more or less. I'm sure I saw mentioned in the past that you can cancel the sub, then if you know you're going to making a trip or trips that will make it worth having it back for a month, signing up again, then cancelling after that busy month.

Is that actually viable? I imagine chargemaster have things in place to punish that? If it's not viable, is Polar instant a better option, are the chargers for that fewer and farther between?

I was looking into Ovo for their EV Everywhere, pondering the Polar Plus as a benefit, not sure yet how much of a boon it would be, especially compared to Ecotricity, whose chargers I've used more than Polar's. Can anyone tell me the best suppliers for comparing 100% renewable tarrifs, other than Ovo, Ecotricity, and Bulb? I see things on comparison sites like Green Network Energy, but don't see them mentioned much on forums like this, are they just no good?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I cancelled my PolarPlus subscription, My account is still there and looks like I could re-activate it at any time if I wanted, but I haven't tried it so can't confirm that is the case.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,659 Posts
I've had six months free Polar Plus, which has now run out. In those six months, I've used Polar plus chargers about 6 times, with future usages looking similar, so I really don't think it's worth the sub fee for just one use a month, more or less. I'm sure I saw mentioned in the past that you can cancel the sub, then if you know you're going to making a trip or trips that will make it worth having it back for a month, signing up again, then cancelling after that busy month.

Is that actually viable? I imagine chargemaster have things in place to punish that? If it's not viable, is Polar instant a better option, are the chargers for that fewer and farther between?

I was looking into Ovo for their EV Everywhere, pondering the Polar Plus as a benefit, not sure yet how much of a boon it would be, especially compared to Ecotricity, whose chargers I've used more than Polar's. Can anyone tell me the best suppliers for comparing 100% renewable tarrifs, other than Ovo, Ecotricity, and Bulb? I see things on comparison sites like Green Network Energy, but don't see them mentioned much on forums like this, are they just no good?

It's very difficult to compare suppliers now because they don't factor in EV car usage, the best way is to set up a spreadsheet and put all your expected usage in.

If you use the EH a lot then not having to pay the £3 connection fee is attractive but I think the per kWh costs are more expensive than OVO, if you could reduce or eliminate the EH charging then OVO with the Polar subscription would be good because a lot of the chargers are free and others are 10.8p/kWh, be careful with the ex CYC posts.

In my experience Polar Instant is very expensive, you have to deposit £20 and some of the chargers are very expensive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I cancelled my PolarPlus subscription, My account is still there and looks like I could re-activate it at any time if I wanted, but I haven't tried it so can't confirm that is the case.
I did just that this week, having cancelled my Polar Plus last month.

Yesterday I received my Ovo Ev Everywhere welcome email telling me to activate Polar Plus. I logged into my old dormant Polar Plus account, linked it with my new Ovo account, and completed a replacement direct debit mandate online whilst on the phone to Polar asking them if this was the right thing to do / to reactivate my old fob (They needed the updated DD mandate prior to reactivation). They called me back 5 minutes later to say it was active but could take up to 48 hours to filter through to all the machines (but call them in the meantime if an issue using a charger). Very smooth.

Time, and my first Polar bill, will tell if was too smooth.

Simon

Reactions: richtrash

·
Registered
236 Posts
Has anyone re-activated their Polar Plus card recently?
During lockdown they suspended paying the monthly subscription, but we used it last month a few times and they charged the monthly subscription.
It looks like we won't be needing to use them frequently for the next few months, so are thinking of cancelling and then re-activating if we do want to use them again.
However, as we now have a Zoe ZE50, the need to use them on a regular basis seems unlikely and we can always fall back on using a credit card at compatible chargers, either Polar Ultra's or Instavolt.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
However, as we now have a Zoe ZE50, the need to use them on a regular basis seems unlikely and we can always fall back on using a credit card at compatible chargers...
Yes, a real problem for the networks there. For the technology to roll out we need expanding charging networks, but as batteries get bigger we'll need them less and less.

Not a great financial offering for an investor.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
...as batteries get bigger we'll need them (public chargers) less and less
Exactly. For people that are able to charge from home and do not do many very long journeys, a large battery and a home charger is all they are ever likely to need.

Strategically placed very fast charging hubs, with built-in redundancy, so you know will always get a place to charge, will still be needed for those who cannot charge at home and long distance travel.

On street slow chargers might have their uses for some, but not for most, as you cannot guarantee to find one available when you need it..

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I'm still waiting for my RFID card... I joined PP 4 weeks ago now. I phoned them a week ago to ask if had been sent. They replied yes so obviously been lost in the post. They said they would send a 2nd one out but I've not seen that yet.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have cancelled the monthly subscription now. When you do so, you can still keep the account open and it gives you the option to set up the subscription again.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,395 Posts
fyi I have polar instant account, and yesterday I tried to use a polar on zap map marked super-rapid (150kw CCS)
It was physically branded on site as BP Chargemaster

I could find it on polar instant map, I could select it, but when I tried to start charge like I do on normal rapids, it would not trigger. I did read somewhere that polar instant won't work with super-rapids, which now looks likely in my experience. Happy to be proved wrong next time I try one.

So if you have a bp charge master polar super rapid near you or on a regular route be aware if you drop your polar plus membership.
I had to use bankcard contactless and it stung me 40p p kWh instead of the £1+rate off of my polar instant fund....... bit unhappy ..

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
995 Posts
fyi I have polar instant account, and yesterday I tried to use a polar on zap map marked super-rapid (150kw CCS)

I could find it on polar instant map, I could select it, but when I tried to start charge like I do on normal rapids, it would not trigger. I did read somewhere that polar instant won't work with super-rapids, which now looks likely in my experience. Happy to be proved wrong next time I try one.

So if you have a bp charge master polar super rapid near you or on a regular route be aware if you drop your polar plus membership.
I had to use bankcard contactless and it stung me 40p p kWh instead of the £1+rate off of my polar instant fund....... bit unhappy ..
Remember that the Polar Instant app is being killed off in favor of the new BP Chargemaster app by the looks of things. The Polar Instant app for me has totally stopped working without any warning or explanation for me. I had to work out for myself that a new app exists.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I was informed close to a month ago that the Polar Instant app should no longer be used and instead the BP Chargemaster is the one to go for - despite what they still say on their website. This was when it was failing to start a charge on a 50kw charger - since then I've tried with the new app and couple of times and it's worked quickly and easily both times.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,395 Posts
Thanks folks --- I used it [ polar instant app ] happily this morning but will cutover to the other one, let's hope it moves my account credit too

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
995 Posts
Thanks folks --- I used it [ polar instant app ] happily this morning but will cutover to the other one, let's hope it moves my account credit too
It should do according to their FAQs, but mine didn't and Chargemaster aren't exactly known for their amazing customer service... I'm still trying to get that sorted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had to register a fresh on the new app and it transferred my credit across. Alas I was charging at the time with credit from the old app (the support bod had remote kicked off the charge) which did not affect the charging but meant afterwards I had full credit on the BP app and a negative balance on the Polar Instant one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts