Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions about the Polar Plus Network operated by ChargeMaster:
  1. What are your experiences with it? Have you managed to borrow one of their EVs for a test drive?
  2. If you've got a referral code, can you send it to me a.s.a.p. so I can use it when I sign up?
Ta!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had a fairly good but somewhat limited experience with it.

I signed up for the 6 month free trial in August, as their rapid charger in Salisbury looked to be conveniently located for visiting family. I also spammed some of the fast charging posts in various car parks near my workplace to build up points and borrow the Tesla Model S in November. It was very nice to have for 6 days, but had a few niggles (mostly regarding fitting child car seats) that surprised me and actually make my Nissan Leaf more useful to me.

I've built up enough points again now to try bid on the Tesla Model S again (you're limited to once every 3 months), but to be honest I think I'm probably just going to drop my membership before the £8/month kicks in. I rarely find any use for fast chargers, and there aren't enough rapid chargers close enough or useful enough to me to justify the subscription costs.

One slight thing to note about the EV Experiences is that you have to get to their offices (on a business park just outside Luton) to collect the car, and to drop it off again, and you can't park your own car there for the duration. So you're limited to getting a lift with someone, taking a taxi, or asking them nicely if they can collect you from the train station (they volunteered that as an option when I asked about parking). Due to the restrictions on times they can exchange the cars, this also has to be done during normal working hours.

Does all that help? I'm afraid I don't know anything about a referral code.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am a PHEV driver and use the local Asda point a lot. Currently on my 2month out of my 6month free trial.

Not issues so far, currently got 30points and did a bid for the LEAF and surprisingly won but can't make the dates they have offered.

I am not 100% if I will cancel before the £8 charge comes in but like @CutGlass I am now looking to spam my local chargers to get up for a Tesla drive before my membership runs out.

There is no referral code just sign up online and you get your RFID card about 2-3working days later.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Signed up at the beginning of the month. No card yet.:mad:

Not impressed, and if they start debiting 6 months from application instead of when they supply the card I will probably look at legal sanctions. In the meantime and if the card does arrive I will have fun. I can see some imaginative road trips coming up but not really for the purpose of trying out their loan cars. If you want to drive a Tesla just book a test drive.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Remember, you can use their points without subscription by using the Polar Instant App.

Only problem is, they charge you a £1.20 admin fee each time!

So it's ok for an emergency, but not if you use them a lot.

Personally, I like the PodPoints - the ones near us are all free, and no cards required

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
OMG, why would any subscribe to Polar just for the off chance of getting a Tesla for a day. I mean your paying for a subscription your very unlikely to get full use of, plus a cost to charge at a post that's free. Someone explain to me how this is different/better to the hoards of EV owners who can't comprehend a batter lease?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Hi Sandy,
I am looking ahead to what car I should consider in future and I have a brother in law who is a car nut. So for six months free trial and £8 month if continued I can try out 3 or 4 cars for a week each to see what suits. Otherwise it's test drives from dealers which tend to be shorter and a lot more hassle to organise. Where my partner visits friends in Derbyshire there are few charge points usually polar so it fits in nicely for us.

Richard

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if you can cancel a 12 month contract after the free 6 months?

I've got a Polar Peasant as you Go card with £5 on it (probably the last person to get a card via that dodge) its my get out of jail card if all else fails.... I hope I never have to use it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I was going to sign up. Then I noticed that you have to be 30 to drive the Model S or i8. Gutted.

I'd give the i3 a go, but you have to collect the car from Milton Keynes. I'm not sure the i3 is worth the hassle - particularly if the i3 has neither Rapid Charging nor the REX (I don't know what spec their i3 is - they don't say on the website).

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was going to sign up. Then I noticed that you have to be 30 to drive the Model S or i8. Gutted.

I'd give the i3 a go, but you have to collect the car from Milton Keynes. I'm not sure the i3 is worth the hassle - particularly if the i3 has neither Rapid Charging nor the REX (I don't know what spec their i3 is - they don't say on the website).
It has both.

·
Registered
784 Posts
OMG, why would any subscribe to Polar just for the off chance of getting a Tesla for a day. I mean your paying for a subscription your very unlikely to get full use of, plus a cost to charge at a post that's free. Someone explain to me how this is different/better to the hoards of EV owners who can't comprehend a batter lease?
In certain parts of the UK, Charge Master are almost unavoidable.

I live in the Midlands. Some journeys are impossible without some type of Polar membership, others are awkward (going out of your way to reach a CYC or Ecotricity charger). Compared to the £1.20 admin charge, £7.85 per month could be good value. The offer of hiring a Model S, i3 or i8 for a week is a nice bonus.

I've just signed up for the trial. It'll probably get canned when the six months are up. May as well - it's that or get the app and top up £20. If I can get the i3 for my trip to Scotland, that'll be a bonus. If not, it's a few hundred miles in a 22kWh Zoe.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've charged at a few asda/waitrose now on free charge. Some have shown up in the app but no 1.20 fee yet
On the app it shows up as £0.00

But when you log into the website it shows up as £1.20!

The app does show that your balance is decreasing :-(

My "free" charges that I used to get did not get listed in the app or on the website

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If you sign up for the 6 month trial, can you use the app, with your details before the RFID card arrives?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Polar Instant is the app and is a completely different scheme to Polar Plus the RFID card. Yo are charged an admin fee on Instant even if you use a free charging point.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
316 Posts
My local Asda offers you a Polar access card for a £10 (refunded on return) deposit. I don't know if this applies to all Asda branches?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts