Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have recently joined the community here since I bought an used Outlander PHEV. I cannot charge easily at home due to living in a flat on the 2nd floor building so I rely for my average 16miles commute charging at work with Shell Recharge (20p/kwh) but would like to top up where I can for free with Podpoint( subscribed already) and Polar Plus (Chargemaster). I have realised I need a referral code from someone who is still with them (?)

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't think you need a referral code, they dropped this a while ago. You just sign up on their web site.

https://polar-network.com/join

You get the first 3 months free then have to pay a monthly subscription after that. If you get your electricity from OVO and are on the correct tariff they have an offer of 2 year's free Polar plus subscription. I'm not aware of other offers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Called them and apparently I had to fill my billing details and now they are going to issue one RFID card in few days. Thank you :D

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,437 Posts
They killed the referral scheme. Said there were so few referrals. I did argue for two forum members to be granted the offer, even if I didn't get a benefit, because it was still advertised on their website. They wouldn't accept it.

Polar are OK, but not nearly as helpful as they were a year or two ago. I've dropped membership, for now at least, and will have a bash at polar instant. No idea if it's a good idea or not but really not using polars much due to poor reliability (again, much worse than a year or two ago).

Good luck with your polar membership, hope it goes well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope they will be just for when I have spare time to leave it here and there to charge. I work many hours and it seems that the Newmotion (Shell Recharge) at work would be my main charging station:/ I hope I can figure out a way of charging from 2nd floor flat where I live :)) Bills are included in the rent so it might worth it plus might extend the life of these battery pack. Thank you so much for your help. Wishing you a nice weekend:D

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
They killed the referral scheme. Said there were so few referrals. I did argue for two forum members to be granted the offer, even if I didn't get a benefit, because it was still advertised on their website. They wouldn't accept it.

Polar are OK, but not nearly as helpful as they were a year or two ago. I've dropped membership, for now at least, and will have a bash at polar instant. No idea if it's a good idea or not but really not using polars much due to poor reliability (again, much worse than a year or two ago).

Good luck with your polar membership, hope it goes well.
The down side of 'Instant' is that you need a really really good phone and an excellent signal as the app loads the chargers for the whole of the country before you can access the one you're standing by. It can take absolutely ages on an average phone.

We were with OVO until late last year and switched to Octopus losing our access to Plus. As Instant is so inaccessible I plan to start the subscription again for the summer, when we do most of our travelling (retired couple), and stop it again for the winter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Instant also has a odd quirk that the car must be connected when stopping the charge on the app otherwise the post won't unlock the cable. With plus RFID card it does not care if the car is still plugged in so you can remove the car end first, caught me out the first time!

·
Registered
122 Posts
To the OP, as you are charging a PHEV at 3KW, if you use Instant there is a £1.20 minimum charge so you really have to be charging for 2 hours and take on 6KWH to make it worth while. Plus has no minimum, and may be free depending on the post, but there is the monthly cost to factor in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts