Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
They’ll do it over the phone. It’s a pain though as you also need to ring them again to get it stopped/your cable unlocked.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
At least all their rapids will have contactless soon so that is a backup, albeit at much higher cost vs Plus subscription.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Contactless is the ideal for me, but it shouldn’t cost the earth,
I just seemed strange to me, they have an app, but you can’t use it to start a charge?
(My preference isn’t an app either)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Less than 1 minute, they do this all the time!
I’m sure but if your wife/daughter/son is driving the car & forgotten the fob, she can’t call & say, hi I’m Mr Mofo can you start the charge?
Now they need to fake being me & know date of birth? Address? Anything else?

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
I suspect reason they don't allow the app to be used is that it would make it easy to share a subscription with your neighbour, brother, sister, cousin, etc. They don't want multiple people being able to use one subscription.

Technically I think the subscription is for one vehicle (need to check T&Cs) so presumably OK to leave card in car for any driver of it to use.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Indeed & it is for one vehicle, but if you attach the fob to your keys & someone else use the spare keys... it just seems really awkward
Bring on contactless payment systems :rolleyes: (At the same prices :mad: )

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As above, it's to stop abuse as seen by EcoT and podpoint Apps.

Just phone up polar and ask if a password or safe word can be put on the account for your family to use of the card is left at home. Job done

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Because they want you to have a single account per user and/or car.
Thus if they hand out multiple tags for a single account it could get passed about.

At the end of the day its their rules and now they are under BP they are unlikely to change no matter how much they are asked to :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Because they want you to have a single account per user and/or car.
Thus if they hand out multiple tags for a single account it could get passed about.

At the end of the day its their rules and now they are under BP they are unlikely to change no matter how much they are asked to :(
I was struggling with 'abuse', if anyone uses the fob, which may be passed around, they still get paid for each use/charge with that fob, or app, if it could be used. It seems strange to use the service & pay for it & call that abuse.

Indeed, they have their rules, weird as they might be, that's it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was struggling with 'abuse', if anyone uses the fob, which may be passed around, they still get paid for each use/charge with that fob, or app, if it could be used. It seems strange to use the service & pay for it & call that abuse.

Indeed, they have their rules, weird as they might be, that's it :rolleyes:
But the rate per kWh for membership (i.e. using the fob) is cheaper than the contactless rate. That discounted rate is due to the monthly payment of the membership. I can see why they limit it.

I personally have been a Polar Plus member for a while but I don't use it that much so I'll be cancelling and going onto the contactless pay as you go tier.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I personally have been a Polar Plus member for a while but I don't use it that much so I'll be cancelling and going onto the contactless pay as you go tier.
Why pay the contactless price when you can use the Polar Instant app and charge for 25p/kWh? (Subject only to a minimum charge which means you have to take at least 5kWh.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts